Part Five

Two weeks passed, and we were struggling to find enough evidence to be able to take the mysterious man into custody. The only evidence we had so far was the video, which apparently didn't prove enough for our case.

Elliot was found the week before in the woods, incredibly malnourished and on the brink of death. While he was still recovering in the hospital, Cole had just gotten out of it, but Bella was still being held in an institution.

"She's not going to speak to us, you know," Liv said, preparing to take notes. "They said that she doesn't really speak since the incident."

"We're going to have to find a way to get her to speak," I said. "We need more evidence in order to be able to take that guy into custody. And Bella agreed to do this, so that must be a good sign."

"Well, the institution did say that she spoke to the boy, Cole, briefly when they allowed him to visit her," Liv's eyes gazed into mine. "Maybe we should have him in here with her? Maybe that will help her talk."

Anxiety was pulsing through my veins. My throat felt tight and my fingers wouldn't stop tapping on the desk.

Both Bella and Cole were going to be brought in to be interviewed, though I wasn't sure if it was a good idea having both of them in the room together.

"Can you tell Jared to bring Bella in? We should try without Cole first," I suggested.

Liv nodded and stood to her feet, exiting the small room while I stared at the chairs in front of my desk. My fingers traced patterns on the wood nervously - I really wasn't sure if I was ready to see Bella yet.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, jumping in surprise when I heard the door open so quickly.

Jared walked in first, then Liv walked in, and then Bella slowly trudged behind them.

Her hair fell to her shoulders in dark waves, much different than the knotted mess it was when I first saw her. Her eyes were wide and her body was frail underneath the large sweatshirt that she was swimming in. She seemed quite small with her arms wrapped around her body.

Her hazel eyes locked on me, and I could practically see her replaying the first moment she saw me in her head. I couldn't blame her; I was doing the same.

Bella sat down hesitantly in front of the long desk we were sat at. Liv was beside me and Jared was beside her.

Bella's eyes were the size of saucers as she looked between the three of us.

"Hi, Bella," I said finally, my words slicing through the tense air. "I want to start off by asking how you're doing?"

Nothing. She didn't even look at me, her eyes were locked on the floor.

Liv gave me a look of sympathy as I cleared my throat.

I spoke again, my voice as gentle as possible. "Bella, we want you to know that whatever you tell us today is purely confidential. If at any moment you feel uncomfortable, we can stop."

Bella didn't say one word. She closed her eyes and licked her lips as she inhaled sharply.

"Sweetie," Liv said softly, "would it help if we brought someone in here with you?"

Bella's eyes widened a little bit as she locked her gaze on Liv.

"Somebody like... Cole, maybe? Would that help you?" Liv tilted her head, and much to my surprise, Bella nodded.

I looked over to Liv who pressed her lips into a thin line and stood to her feet.

"I will be right back with him, okay?" she asked.