043

chapter ➝ forty threetype ➝ real life❝ a series of unfortunate events ❞

type real life
❝ a series of unfortunate events ❞

──────────◈──────────

SALT LAKE WAS OVERLY CROWDED TONIGHT, either because Steve Austin made a one-night comeback or because of the pretty much anticipated mixed tag team match. The sound of applause and the bustle of whistling filled the arena as usual. The match between Jeff Hardy and Becky Lynch against John Cena and Francine Lane have lasted for approximately ten minutes. It was quite varied, Jeff and Becky pretty much dominated the match, but John and Francine were also not easy to beat.

Francine was ecstatically trying hard to work with John, but still, their chemistry had died down long ago, which resulted in her often throwing glares every now and then at him. The only thing that kept Francine going was because she knew Chris was watching her along with her twin sister on the front row. There was no way she would embarrass herself by playing sloppy.

Even though the creative already informed them who came out victorious, both Francine and John still showed a bit of defeat for the sake of storyline before finally dominating the rest of the match time. Francine gave Becky a swift kick to the back of the head, making her collapse down the mat as she put the redhead into the chin lock, but before Becky could tap, Jeff showed up to pry Francine's grip off her. And being as useful as he should be, John promptly appeared from behind where Jeff was and delivered an F-U for the pinfall victory.

The bell instantly dinged as the crowds cheered loudly, causing a wide simper to adorn Francine's lips. However, as cliché as it seemed to be, of all so many people she directly landed her eyes only on Chris, even she blatantly ignored John who opened his arms ready to embrace her. Seeing Chris stood up and clapped his hands together with a smile that she grew too fond of lately, suddenly made everything unimportant, causing an eruption exploded inside her.

And at that moment, Francine realized that she deeply wanted her story to end with Chris, not anyone else.

But unfortunately, her reverie had to stop there. With Francine too caught up in the Evalane fantasy, she forgot that the storyline was not over yet. Out of nowhere, Maryse slid into the ring and hit her back with a chair. Hard. A sharp gasp escaped Francine's lips as a fresh influx of agony fawned up her neck, making her entire body surrender and collapsed down the mat. Francine lay flat on her stomach, a hand finding its way to touch the back of her neck as she groaned in pain. Maryse was busy throwing bitchy fits on her, so she couldn't see Francine was currently doing her best not to curl up into a ball because of the tremendous pain.

Everything was scripted, but not with the accidental injury. And, well, a certain Chris Evans got into the ring.

No one noticed it, apparently. But surprisingly, a lone tear that shimmered on Francine's cheek and hidden under the dense of her ebon hair enough to trigger Chris to vacate his seat, ignoring Shailene who was calling out his name. The crowd's response was deafening, seeing the Captain America actor standing in the middle of the ring as well as being a shield for Francine Lane.

It was an absolute chaos inside the arena as Maryse's facial feature clearly emitted pure bewilderment, recalling that Chris should not be in the ring before she realized that Francine didn't move a single muscle from her position. And everything eventually clicked in her brain when the platinum blonde spotted Shailene outside the ring signaling for the medics.

Maryse's eyes widened largely as she managed to utter some words out, still gripping the chair. "I'm — I'm so sorry, oh God, I didn't do it on purpose."

Chris slightly nodded and backed away slowly to make sure that Francine was okay. "I know, I know."

All the minor conversations becalmed the moment Shane McMahon strode over and dropped the 'punishment' for both Miz and Maryse. He didn't seem to demur Chris' whereabouts in the ring for he had a good intention which stopped Maryse from injuring Francine worse than this.

But unfortunately, Francine didn't feel the same way.

──────────◈──────────