Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Khushi always knew she will not be allowed to study after school. College was a far cry. But what is happening with her was so sudden. She still had a month before her final exams yet Buaji has already seen a boy for her and convinced her father to get her married. Payal is already going to get married and it is time for Khushi to get married. She didn't see the boy or his family yet. She just knows they are Raizadas. She doesn't even know where they are from. But knowing these things will not change anything for Khushi. If Buaji likes them then she will surely be married. As soon as Garima entered the room Khushi rushed to her

"Maa I don't want to get married she said

Garima looked at Khushi with pity. She didn't want her fate for her daughter, but she didn't have any choice. They have to respect elder's decision.

"Khushi they are very reputed family Garima reasoned

"But ma I have my final exams Khushi said

"Khushi the boy has a big company in Delhi it seems. Very rich they are. You are lucky that they are going to consider you as a bride Garima dodged Khushi's question

Khushi knew convincing her mom is of no use. Both her mother and father only listen to Buaji. And Khushi couldn't dream of talking about these things to Buaji. She owes her whole life to these people and she cannot say no to them. Khushi simply took clothes and jewellery from her mom and went to get ready.

It was time for sunset and the Raizadas have not arrived yet. Garima and Sashi looked at Khushi with worry. Already few neighbors were throwing snide remarks saying that because of Khushi's unlucky stars the Raizadas would have backed out.

"Maybe they had found someone more beautiful and richer Neeta, their neighbour commented to Buaji who agreed with a scowl

Garima was already in tears and Khushi was clutching her duppatta hard to stop her tears. She didn't want to hurt her parents by crying. Khushi now didn't know what she should pray for. Does she want them to come or not come?

Even before anyone could announce the arrival of Raizadas it was announced by roaring of cars. Everyone in the house was alerted and gloomy faces were masked by smile. Khushi's heart almost skipped a beat as two men and three ladies walked inside the house. From the top floor room, where Khushi was standing, she couldn't hear anything. So she was waiting for her cue to go down to greet them. Soon Payal came running to her and pulled her arm to go down.

"He is very handsome Payal whispered in her ears as they climbed down.

Once Khushi went and stood near her mother, she slowly lifted her eyes to see the guests. There was an old lady in a saree who looked elegant. Another lady, maybe in her late forties bathed in makeup and designer saree, looked a bit tensed. The third lady, perhaps in her late twenties in a very fashionable saree and sleeveless blouse, looked happy and cheerful. Khushi very slowly and cautiously turned her eyes to the men sitting beside Buaji. One was wearing specs and was talking to Buaji. When Khushi moved her gaze towards the other man, her breath halted a minute for he was looking at her directly. There was something about his gaze that made Khushi very nervous so she immediately lowered her sight.

The old lady who introduced herself as Naani of the groom made Khushi sit beside her. "She is very beautiful she said "No wonder Arnav wants to marry her

Arnav' Khushi repeated inside her mind. Though she was still not informed who between the men was her suitor, she somehow pictured the man who looked at her with piercing gaze as Arnav.

"We are very glad you chose our Khushi as your daughter in law Buaji spoke

Does that mean everything is fixed? Khushi didn't have any hope of being asked her wish but she didn't expect everything to be fixed so soon.

"My husband belongs to Lucknow, so it is like our own city. And when family is so good and girl is so pretty why should we have second thoughts Naani said as she patted Khushi's hand.

Khushi smiled unknowingly and she already liked Naani for some odd reason.

"Naani I want to talk to Khushi alone she heard him say

Khushi could mentally picture her whole family gasping at his preposterous request, but obviously they wouldn't deny any demand from the groom or his family.

"Of course it shouldn't be a problem. Why Madumathiji? Naani looked at her Buaji and he smiled saying "Sure

Khushi looked at her mother from the corner of her eyes and she nodded. Khushi stood up and went to the backyard. She was aware of Arnav following her but she didn't stop until she was in the backyard. Khushi stood facing her back to him.

"Khushi she heard him call and Khushi felt as if she is so much used to hearing the voice calling her in various occasions. A very prompt "Ji left her lips.

"Look at me he didn't order. There was so much desperation in his voice that Khushi's heart ached hearing his voice.

She turned to his side and slowly lifted her gaze. His eyes were on her. He kept looking at her intently as if he was trying to solve a puzzle. "Khushi he called again and the familiarity in his voice didn't fail to shock again

It was as if he wanted to tell so much to her but he was holding back for some reason. Khushi wanted to hold his hand and calm him down but that outlandish thought only surprised her. He took a deep breath and turned to the other side. After a couple of seconds he walked out and Khushi just followed him.

He stood in the middle of the living room to address everyone and Khushi meekly stood beside him.

"Let us have engagement soon. But wedding only after Khushi's final exams he declared

Khushi looked at him shocked. How did he know about her exams? Even if someone had told him why would he postpone the wedding for her sake?

"There is no need for it. We don't mind her skipping her final exams Buaji said with a sugar coated voice

"No Madhumathiji exams are important Naani argued "Let bahu complete her studies, why Sashiji?

Buaji agreed reluctantly. Anyhow she couldn't have talked against them. She couldn't get a better place to marry Khushi and she could already envision jealous eyes of her peers when she tells them that she is going to be relative of Raizadas.

The Raizadas were driving back from Gupta Haveli to Sheesh Mahal in Lucknow. Arnav was lost in the thoughts of his Khushi. Arnav immediately declared to his Naani and Di about him wanting to marry a girl from Lucknow. They were extremely happy and didn't ask anymore question. They immediately agreed to go to Lucknow the very next day.

When Arnav saw Khushi his heart fluttered like a butterfly. She looked so young and beautiful. The Khushi he knew was exposed to harsh realities of life. She was strong yet there were pieces of her that were broken. Regretfully he contributed to that major part. But this Khushi was so innocent and vulnerable. The moment she looked at him with her hazel eyes he just wanted to take her in his arms and hide her from everyone. For a moment he wondered what if she doesn't want to marry him. He told Naani that he wants to talk to her alone to know her decision. But he feared her denial and was desperate to have her back in his life. So he decided that he will give her so much happiness that she will forget all negative thoughts she has about marriage. He declared that their marriage will happen only after her exams. She must be shocked as she didn't tell him anything. But Khushi previously, while working for him, has told him how she never gave her exams. He wants none of her dreams to be unfulfilled, especially now that he has got another chance to make her dreams come true.