Part 53 - Safe

Peter and I slowly make our way back to my house. We were both nervous about what my parents would say, but trying to stay optimistic. 

When we got to my front porch, Peter quickly opened the door. I looked at him surprised, "Why did you open it so quickly?" I asked. 

He looked confused, "I don't know. I'm just really nervous," 

I laugh at his cute face and then take a step inside. Peter and I walk into the kitchen and I set my jacket down on a chair, "Mom?" I call out. 

I hear footsteps come from my mom's room. Peter and I step out to see my parents when they walk out, but only my mom emerges from her room. 

"Where's dad?" I asked. 

"Sit down, guys," My mom tells me and Peter. 

Peter and I both do as we're told and take a seat on the couch, with my mom on the chair next to us. She looks stressed and unhappy, which I take as a bad sign. But what I don't understand is where is my dad? 

"OK, so your father and I had a long talk," She starts, "And well we didn't exactly agree on things, as you can tell since I'm having this talk with you alone," 

My mom continues to talk about how family is everything and how she wants me to be safe, but instead of listening I sent a mind message to Peter, "Why do I feel like this is gonna be a bad decision?" 

"I hate to say it, but I think that too," 

I focus back in on my mom who is just finishing her monologue, "You know we just want you to be safe and happy Y/N,"

"Of course I know that, and I promise you I'm safe," I grab her hand and hold it to reassure her. 

She gives me a sad smile and sighs. She lets go of my hand and reaches into her back pocket and pulls out my plane ticket. 

She takes one look at it and hands it to me, "Here," 

I already feel the tears well up in my eyes. She's making me move to Florida. I sniff as a tear rolls down my cheek, I hear Peter give a little sniff too. 

"Y/N," My mom says, "Take it," She hands the ticket to me and I reluctantly grab it.

"Now, rip it up," she says. 

My eyes whipped up to her and out of the corner of my eye I see Peter look up too, "What?" I ask. 

"Rip it up," She laughs, "You're staying here." 

I let out a laugh of relief, "Really?"

"Yes, that's what your father and I didn't agree on. He thought you should go with him, but I wanted you to stay here. He's already left for Florida, that's why he's not here." She tells us. 

"But I thought he left in a week?" Peter chimes in. 

My mom rubs her hands on her pants, "Well, he got an earlier flight so he took it," 

"So I'm actually staying here?" Everything feels so unreal it's hard for me to comprehend the words that my mom is saying

"Listen, guys, I thought a lot about what you said to me. Of course, I was very upset and unsure when I first heard my daughter and her boyfriend were two superheroes known by the whole country who fight dangerous criminals every night and-" 

I cut her off, "OK, we get it you were upset," 

She brushes some hair out of her eyes and continues, "Sorry. Anyways I was unsure and I thought it would be better if you moved away too, but after some thinking," She paused, "I trust you both, and I trust that you're telling me the truth when you say that you both are safe."

"And I hate to say it, but I trust Tony Stark too." She takes a breath, "As much as I don't want you to be fighting these criminals, I want you to be happy. And you seem to be happy doing this and being with Peter." 

I rush over to her and run her over with a hug, "Oh my gosh Mom! Thank you so much!" 

"I only have a couple of conditions," I pull away from her to listen, "You always take your phone with you, we put a tracker on your phone, and you carry pepper spray and a taser with you wherever you go," 

Peter speaks up, "Y-you know she can shoot fire from her hands?" 

I laugh at his remark and look back at my mom, "Oh yeah," She says nervously, "I forgot." 

She looks to Peter, "Protect my daughter, please. She's all I have," 

Peter nods to reassure her that he will protect me. I laugh, "I think I have to protect Peter, he gets all cocky and sometimes does dumb things," 

Peter gives me a fake offended look, and my mom started to talk to Peter about keeping me safe.

My mom and Peter keep conversing while I zone out for a minute thinking about how unreal this all feels. I hear my mom and Peter talking but it feels like they're far away. I'm so happy I get to stay with Peter, it feels like I could fly to the moon.

"I have an idea!" I chirp.

Both Peter and my mom stop talking to look at me, "What is it?" Peter asks.

"We should all go out to dinner to celebrate!" I exclaim.

"Yeah, that's a good idea," Peter says.

"I agree, let me just go grab my purse and then we can head out," My mom heads off into her bedroom to grab her purse. 

Once my mom came back out, the three of us headed out to a nice dinner. My mom was still acting nervous about me and Peter going out and fighting criminals but she tried her best to hide it. 

I touched her hand every now and then and reassured her that we would both be fine. I know that if I didn't have my powers she would definitely not let me continue on doing this with Peter. But, I can tell that she knows that Peter and I both have special abilities that will keep us safe in a fight. 

We sat at the restaurant talking about everything going on in our lives. It all felt perfect, too perfect like it was right from my imagination

When we weren't eating our food, Peter and I sat hand in hand on one side of the booth, while my mom sat on the other side. I thought a little about my dad already on his way to Florida, he left without saying goodbye to me. 

I always thought we had a good relationship, but I guess he was pretty upset about my mom's decision. The thought of him moving away without telling me angered me. 

But tonight isn't about being angry, it's about celebrating my mom, Spider-Man, and Gemini.

-

-

-

-

A/N: What a nice happy ending! Sorry, this chapter is one day late, I started school this week and it's been kicking my butt :( two more chapters left in this book! And then the sequel! Thank you all for reading! Don't forget to comment, vote and follow!

Love always,
MJ Xx