Chapter 11: You're One Of Us, Now

Markus, North and Josh took you and Connor to an abandoned church, where the other residents of Jericho were hiding and recuperating; wondering what the next course of action they need to take. 

Markus was able to find a barrel full of wood and he began to light it just for you before he left to go see Carl.
You asked him if he wanted you to come with but he told you that you needed to stay here and warm up. He didn't want you to get sick or worse.
You stood by the fire and warmed yourself some more. You still felt alittle cold but you felt a helluva lot better than you did almost an hour ago.

After you finally warmed up, You walked around the church to see all of the androids looking sad and broken. You couldn't help but feel bad for them, they just wanted to be free. Sure they bleed a different color than humans but they are still people. This also made you feel even worse when you realized that these past few days you were working against them, denying them their freedom. 

Well that was about to change.

You were just walking down the aisle of benches when you heard a voice say. "I know you." You turn to to the voice and saw the short blonde haired woman with the little girl hugging her. "You're that detective that was hunting down deviants." She said. You take a good look at her and realized that she looked familiar. You saw her file a few days ago, she was a AX400 model that assaulted her master and ran away. 

"You're the android that was accused of assault a few days ago." You said as you walked up to her. She gives a worried look at you but you shook your head. "I'm not gonna hurt you two. I'm on your side." You informed as you kneel in front of them.
"Besides, I figure the report your former master gave was bullshit, he didn't look very trustworthy."

The android looks down at the girl then to you and said. "Her dad was beating her." You look at her with worry and concern as she continues.
"I had to protect her. We tried to escape but he attacked us...so I had to defend myself...for her safety. These past few days we've been trying to find a place to stay. We were told that Canada was the best place, so we've been trying to get there. We were sent to Markus because we were told he could help us and get passports so we could get past the borders. We just want to be free."

You nod at her as you said. "You deserve your freedom." She looks up at you in surprise as you said. "I'm also sorry we tried to hunt you two down."

She smiles at you as you said. "I'm (y/n). What's yours?"

"My name is Kara. And this is Alice." Kara introduced. "Well, Kara and Alice....I hope you two make it safely to Canada and live a happy life together." You said as you stand back up then dug into your pocket and found out that you had some cash on you.

You pull the cash out and hand it to Kara. "It's not much but...here...this should help..." you said. Kara looks at the cash then to you and said. "You sure?" You nodded at her and she takes the cash. "Thank you." She said. You smile and nodded at her as you walk away.

You walk towards Connor, who was huddled up in the corner. You go up to him and place your hand on his shoulder. "Connor?" You whispered but he didn't respond. You reach out and stroke his cheek when you heard footsteps behind you. 

You turn around and saw Markus, who returned from Carl's house, walking up to you two. Connor slightly looks up at him but turns his head away before he speaks. "It's my fault...the humans managed to locate Jericho...I was stupid.." he said in sadness and guilt.

"Connor, no..." you said, softly. 

"I should've guessed they were using me." He said as he looks down. Then he steps up and walks up to Markus. "I'm sorry, Markus...I can understand if you decide not to trust me...." he said.