⁰¹, THE WORLD OF CHARLIE GILMORE

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄 . . . 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘞𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘭𝘪𝘦 𝘎𝘪𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦
❝ My mom is like a bloodhound when it comes to rebellion, she'll know

  THE STEPS OF Luke's diner had always invoked a feeling of nostalgia within Charlie Gilmore. She'd tripped up and down them, written her first song on them, and been kicked out onto them more times than she could count. But more often than not, they were simply a tool to get to work.

  "Pea," The familiar nickname was shouted abruptly as Charlie crossed the threshold of the diner, "You're late—"

  "Calm down, Lucas, you'll give yourself a heart attack."

  Luke stared unamusedly at the brunette, tossing her a bright red apron she caught easily. Charlie made her way around the diner quickly, her routine overpowering the previous chaos of the day.

  If Rory Gilmore had the Crap Shack, Charlie Gilmore had Luke's Diner.

  Each building holding a majority of memories for each girl, the sense of comfort and happiness. And, shockingly, Charlie's attachment had less to do with the building and more to do with its proprietor— who annoyingly referred to her as 'Pea' after realizing her mother's comment of them being 'two peas in a pod' bothered her.

  "So, uh," Luke cleared his throat as Charlie rounded the counter, "Where's your mom?"

  "She and Rory went on a road trip," The girl responded offhandedly, ignoring Luke's worried gaze.

  "Why aren't you with them?"

  "Didn't want to go."

  "Isn't your mom's wedding soon?"

  "Uh, is it?" Charlie asked, swiping a damp rag over an already clean counter. "You sure?"

  "You're acting stranger than you normally do."

  "Just forget it, okay?" Charlie said tightening her lips after halting her movements. "Let it go."

  Luke sighed tiredly at the teen, crossing his arm as turned and began stacking coffee mugs. "At least tell me why you stayed."

  "Mom needed Rory time," The brunette caved after realizing she had no more neurotic and unnecessary tasks to complete within arms reach. "I don't help in situations like these."