³³, VOICEMAIL FOR HOPE

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄. . . 𝘝𝘰𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘮𝘢𝘪𝘭 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘏𝘰𝘱𝘦
❝ "I was scared you wouldn't come back.

  CHARLIE WAS THE ONLY GILMORE RELATIVELY EXCITED TO GO TO HER GRANDPARENTS' PARTY. Though, everything went downhill after Rory tried to reassure her Luke would come back soon.

"I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?" Lorelai questioned, eating a burger she admitted wasn't as good as Luke's.

"That Luke is gone."

"Hon. . ." The woman frowned, "It is not your fault."

"He'll be back soon anyway, with Jess," Rory smiled reassuringly, "And then everyone will have forgotten about the whole thing."

"Yeah, everyone but me." Charlie flopped back into her seat, "Have you seen the way people are looking at me? It's like I kicked a puppy and stomped over everyone's flowers."

"People just like to gossip," Lorelai sighed, "We all know it's not your fault."

"Kind of is."

  Lorelai pursed her lips, wishing for nothing more than to be able to reassure her daughter, in even the slightest way.

"It'll be fine in a week," Rory turned in her seat, "Everyone will be talking about something else and Taylor will let you back in the market."

  Charlie clenched her jaw, raising an eyebrow at her sister's expression. She made the choice, leaning back in the seat, that it just simply wasn't worth it.

"Charlie!" Emily smiled as her granddaughter stumbled through the crowd, "Oh, you look beautiful."

"Thanks, Grandma."

"What's that on your arm?"

"Oh, uh, just a cast."

"Just a cast?"

"It's fine, really," Charlie attempted to calm the woman down, "It's just a hairline fracture, the cast is overkill."

"What happened? When?"

"Just last week." Emily looked dumbstruck as Charlie shrugged, "I got into a car accident."

"Why didn't anyone call us?"

"I didn't want to make a big deal out of it," Charlie admitted quietly, "I've gotten enough grief to last a lifetime."

"I thought you were a spectacular driver?" Emily still seemed shocked at the entire situation, "Was it their fault? Oh, I hope you made sure they'd pay for-"