⁰⁵, A DEBUTANTE NIGHT

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 . . . 𝘈 𝘋𝘦𝘣𝘶𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦 𝘕𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵
❝ We like each other, but that's not the only thing that matters. . . 

  "THIS IS YOUR shot, Charls!"

  Charlie Gilmore sunk further into her seat as Emma continued babbling on and on. She knew informing the girl of the debutant ball was a mistake, as Emma was now convinced that this was the perfect opportunity for Charlie to take a leap past friendship with Liam.

  "Connecticut," Jess greeted as he slipped into the classroom, claiming the seat behind Charlie. He raised an eyebrow once feeling a burning stare in the side of his head, only to realize Emma was glaring, "Spawn of Satan."

  "Cute, we both have nicknames."

  "We were having a private conversation, Jess," Emma shot, ignoring Charlie's sarcastic remark.

  "Not very private if it's in the middle of a classroom."

  "It's fine, Em," Charlie interrupted, "He could not care less about a debutante ball."

  "Got that right."

  "Whatever," Emma grumbled as Jess slunk down, burying his nose in a book, "I think you should just do it."

  "There's nothing to be done, I don't have a crush on him."

  "Who don't you have a crush on?" 

  Charlie sat straighter in her seat at Liam's voice, a gentle smile plastering on her lips as he slid into the chair beside her. Emma stuck her tongue out at the girl— despite Charlie not daring to notice a thing outside of the blond.

  "No one, I don't have a crush on anyone, that was the point," Charlie said quickly, her smile never faltering.

  "You're a damn good actor, Connecticut, puttin' Christian Slater to shame."

  Charlie shot a glare at Jess, whose head hadn't moved but his eyes lifted amusedly to watch the girl.

  "I feel like I walked into something I shouldn't have," Liam mumbled, pulling out a spiral notebook.

  "Don't you always?"

  "So, um, Liam," Charlie continued, ignoring Emma entirely, "There's this thing. . ."

  "That's never good," Liam laughed, shooting Charlie a small smile, "There's this thing. . ."

  "A debutante ball," The brunette finished, "Rory roped me into one, it's totally all her fault, and I need an escort."