Chapter 49 - I Can Protect Them, Too

"Come on."

Nagpahatak na lang ako kay Hiro at hindi ko alam kung saan kami papunta. He appeared right after Mama dn Demi jumped from the window.

Silent tears continued falling from my eyes. I suddenly remembered the times we spent together. How could she say those words when she took care of me, fed me and loved me unconditionally?

"I am not your real mother."

Mas lalo lang gumulo ang katauhan ko. Hindi ko na alam kung sino talaga ako. Kung dati ay may pinanghahawakan pa ako bilang anak ni Rina Lazaro, ngayon wala na.

"Stop thinking about anything first," Hiro said, breaking the silence between us.

"Don't read my mind," I said in response as I tried to close my mind tighter.

"Sorry."

Paglabas namin ng Midori building ay halos lumubog ang puso ko sa nakita ko. The whole campus was in chaos and I could see Shinigamis coming out of the forest. Teachers and students were already engaged in a battle against some of them who were moving toward the inner campus.

'They may have breached the dimension barrier at the forest but they can't use Black Dimension inside the campus. Keep that in mind.'

Napahawak agad ako sa ulo ko. That was Sir Hayate. But how . . . ?

"He's using an equipment made by the Technology Department to communicate with all of us using his mind," sabi ni Hiro sa akin pero nanatili lang akong nakatingin sa kanya.

Bigla naman niya ulit akong hinatak papunta sa direksyon ng dorm pero halos mapasigaw ako nang may humarang sa aming dalawang Shinigami.

"Ah. That's her, right?"

"Come with us—"

Agad akong binitiwan ni Hiro at nagulat ako nang may narinig na lang akong gunshots.

"Go to hell," he coldly said as one of the Shinigamis slumped to the ground.

My mind went back to its right state when I heard my own scream. The other Shinigami managed to dodge the bullet from Hiro's twin guns. Napatingin na lang ako sa kanya. Did he just summon them within a split second?

Nanlaki naman ang mga mata ko nang naglabas din ng baril ang Shinigami at itinutok niya 'yon kay Hiro. He immediately grabbed my hand and pulled me behind him. The next thing I knew, the Shinigami's body fell on the ground with a thump.

Pagtingin ko kay Hiro, his green eyes were already looking at me.

"Are you okay?" tanong niya sa akin.

"Y-Yeah—"

Then my mind snapped. What the heck am I doing? I am also one of them. I'm a Senshin. That means I also have the responsibility to save this place, not to be protected by them.

Siguro nga hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala sa mga sinabi sa akin ni Mama but that was a personal matter and I shouldn't have brought that during a fight. We're in a middle of a war. This wouldn't be the right time to think about my personal matters anymore.

"Look out!" Hiro yelled as he pushed my head down and I used that moment to summon my weapons.

Tumingala ako at nakita ko ang Shinigami na wala nang malay sa harapan ko. I enhanced my sight and I could see a group of Shinigamis who were also holding bows. One of them, who was about 500 meters away, was aiming at Hiro.

Sinipa ko ang paa ni Hiro kaya na-out of balance siya at napaupo sa tabi ko. I shot my arrow and it snapped the arrow accelerating toward us into halves. I shot another one to the Shinigami who fired it and it pierced his right shoulder.