Crush

You were quite a fierce shieldmaiden. Always trying to look for cues in the movements of the other warrior's body to find their weakness. The way you could defeat any opponent in just moments, was incredible. your friends would meet with you and train for a few hours at least every other day. Teaching them all to be better and helping them sharpen their skills and find their strengths made you so proud. It made you happy knowing that these strong women were almost as good as you, so you know they could survive any battle. That way you wouldn't have to lose anyone else. Ever since your mother died beside you in battle, you have always been afraid of feeling that pain again. But you understood why they couldn't train as much, they all have children and husbands to take care of.

     Except Tepha, she served Queen aslaug.  The duties she had kept her too busy to make time for a man in her life. You wanted companionship, but have always been scared to commit to anyone. Maybe, it's because when your father left your mother, you had to help her through it and pick up her broken pieces. Seeing the strongest women you've ever known be so heartbroken over a man, made you terrified of ever feeling that. Since your father left when you were 11, It was always you and your mother. Adjusting to a life without her has been the most painful battle you have ever endured. So you distract yourself by improving your skills.
   You and your friends, indris, tepha, and reidin would all fight each other at the same time, until one of you has defeated all the others. It was your favorite thing to do because when you were with them, you weren't alone. Gods, how lonely you were, but you feared love too much to try to find someone. That thought has haunted you all day and threw you off. You weren't fighting the way you usually do and your friends noticed.

     Once your training is over for the day, all of you would gather around each other and talk over a few horns of ale. You were laughing and talking about the gossip of the town, as usual. Then reidin asked what was on your mind.
"It's been 2 years since my mother joined the gods. And though you all keep me company, I've been wondering if it's time for me to conquer my fear and try to find a man." You said and Tepha joined in, "or a woman! Don't think we all forgot that you like both" They all giggled.
"You're not wrong, the point is I think it's time for me to open myself up to the idea of companionship."

     Suddenly, the sound of someone approaching, interrupted the conversation. Which caught you all off guard because you would practice in a meadow that almost nobody comes to. As you felt the steps approaching you, all the women pulled out their weapons. You turned around quickly and before you could recognize who it was, you had your blade to their throat. "Woah calm down, I promise I'm not a threat, (Y/N)". His rough voice snapped you out of your instinctive aggression.
    Oh no, it was Ubbe. You gasped and immediately dropped your sword. "Oh gods, if I would've known you were a ragnarsson, I would've never reacted like that, please accept my sincerest of apologizes, my prince." Ubbe chuckled, "no need for apologizes, (Y/N). A woman must protect herself and I shouldn't have snuck up on you." You finally exhaled, knowing he wasn't offended.
"Actually ladies, I have watched you on multiple occasions, you are such strong shieldmaidens. I was wondering if you would join me and some of my men while we train. From what I've seen, you'll be able to keep up, and put some of my cockier men in their place." Ubbe raised his eyebrow, staring you up and down. You interrupted the silence. "What do you mean you've watched us?" You and the others crossed your arms. "Oh yeah I see how that can sound a bit strange. Sometimes I walk through the woods to clear my mind. The trees help me find my calm. I carry a lot on my shoulders and walks in these woods help me relax a bit." Your face softened and you took a drink of the ale, you had on the tree stump beside you. "So if I agree, will I be able to fight you? Maybe even your brothers? I say "I" because I do not speak for these women." Indris spoke up. "I will join if I get to fight with your best warriors." "As will I" added tepha. You looked over at reidin who looked like she was deep in thought. "So mr. ragnarsson, I think most of us are interested in your offer, what do you say?". Ubbe steppes a few steps closer to your group, I would love nothing more than for you to fight me, (Y/N). As for your fierce friends, they may choose whichever opponent they desire. Now I must get back to the great hall, (Y/N) would you care to escort me?" You turned to your friends to look for approval and they all smiled and nodded.
   You grabbed your weapon and walked with him, leaving your friends behind. Ubbe interrupted the peaceful silence with his rough voice. " (Y/N), you are such an outspoken woman, You would think I would hear more about you. But yet, you are always at home or out in this meadow, living a quiet life when not in battle. I never see you at the pub and you rarely come to feasts in the great hall. Have you a man to keep you company and occupy your time?" You laughed at the question. "I do not have a man, I have preferred my own company. Since the loss of my mother." Is she what keeps you so focused on battle?" He said.
"Yes, she wanted to raid and visit new cities. So I have dedicated my life to fulfill what she was unable to do." You approached Kattegat, hearing people laughing and talking. "Well I better head home, I have work to do." Ubbe looked over at you. "What do you do for work? I never seen you working in any shop." You Felt weird talking to a man this long, it was so foreign to you since you barely ever talked to anyone except your friends."i make dresses and tunics for women. They are functional and yet pretty. Many shield maidens ask for my clothing. I work at home, rather than in a shop. I prefer the solitude." As you slowly started walking away, Ubbe caught up with you and lightly tugged your arm, causing you to stop in your tracks.
"(Y/N), I am having a gathering tonight at the great hall, everyone will be there, I was hoping you will join in on the fun, you can meet some of the men you will be training with and maybe you could display one of your dresses?" You looked at your feet and fiddled with a loose string on your tunic. "I suppose I can make an appearance." You looked up and saw a wide smile crack upon ubbe's face. He was quite a handsome man and somehow this was the first time you noticed. "Wonderful! When you come, please look for me." He winked and walked away.
   Now, you were nervous. What should you wear? How should you do your hair? Then you had a terrible realization. You had a crush. You waited for your friends to come back to their homes so you can ask for their advice.