Chapter Four: Lovely Lies.

Edit: 12/01/18: 

The next chapter will go up sometime next week.
I've been sick and I have a lot of stuff going on. I apologize for the delay.

Hopefully the next chapter will be worth the wait. Big developments are coming. 

-

The form of a young, small boy was propped against the window of the moving car—said boy was undoubtedly Kokichi Ouma. He stared out the window and watched as the rain pelted against it. He narrowed his eyes, letting a sorrowful sigh escape his lips.

"...Dad?" He asked, his focus still on the pouring rain.

"What is it?" A low, gloomy voice escaped the man's lips.

"I want to see mom again." Kokichi shifted his eyes, noticing the painful look upon his father's face. He returned his gaze to the window, fighting back the tears that threatened to fall. "Before I go," he finished.

"We've already talked about this," the man replied softly. "That would just confuse her."

"It's not fair," he replied, pressing his cheek against the cold, glass window. "Do you think," he paused for a moment, biting his lip to hold back the tears, "I will be able to one day?"

"I think it would be best if you just," the man paused for a moment, biting his lip, "...start anew, Kokichi." As soon as those words left his lips, the car came to a halt.

Kokichi turned away from the window, noticing his father's distressed face once again. He cocked his head to the side, both confusion and dolefulness taking over his features. His father just stared ahead, refusing to look at him. Hesitantly, Kokichi looked out the window, noticing a large, white building ahead. His hands began to tremble as he placed them onto his lap.

"Y-you're right," the boy said, a fake, bright tone taking over his voice. He tapped his father's shoulder, finally earning his attention. "It's better this way." A forced smile made its way to Kokichi's lips. "It's going to be fine," he finished. With that, a small smile made its way onto his father's lips as well—except, his seemed genuine.

-

It had been about a week since Kokichi had finally gotten the hang of his job at the bakery. Since his experience with customers and baking was seemingly non existent, his first few days had been difficult for him, leaving him rather irritable. Even so, I could tell that he was doing his very best; however, the customers still managed to get under his skin some days. When I first met him around a week ago, he lacked enthusiasm—he wanted nothing to do with me. Once he realized that I wasn't out to get him, he stopped pushing away as much. Despite his astonishing development, he didn't become an open book, he was still hard to read. I often noticed him spacing out, or becoming lost within his own mind, which piqued my curiosity.

Just who was the true Kokichi Ouma? Yet again, another one of his memories had invaded my mind—another lone piece of the puzzle known as Kokichi Ouma. Each time I awoke after dreaming of said memories, I could feel something eating away at my stomach. Perhaps it was just anxiety? I had offered him a job and a place to stay, but I wasn't just being nice. I wanted to understand the memories that had been bestowed upon me, I wanted to know what the Danganronpa staff did to me, and I wanted to reveal the truth to my sister—I needed him for that. Sure, my intentions were a bit selfish, which made me feel guilty, but was it so wrong of me to be selfish for once in my life? Regardless of my desire to understand everything, I did want to get to know Kokichi as a person rather than a character—but was that a selfish desire as well?