Chapter Nine: Broken Promises.

Hey, everyone! So, here's the next chapter. 
Again, I'm sorry for slow updates.  Life has been a bit stressful for me lately.

Thanks so much for all the support on this story! You people are amazing. I really appreciate it.

____

The two of us entered the apartment complex hand in hand. As we both approached the flight of stairs, I suddenly stopped in my tracks, pulling my hand away from his. He turned towards me, narrowing his eyes. I sighed softly, forcing a smile upon my face. I didn't want to reject him in that moment, but I didn't want S/N to get any more ideas—especially since she knew the truth now.

"Come on, lets see if S/N is still by Maki's apartment," I said. 

As the two of us began making our way up the flight of stairs, we both remained quiet. Once we made it to the front of Maki's apartment, I noticed that the mess of sweets had been cleaned up and no one was in sight. I assumed that Maki had retreated back into her apartment, but I wasn't sure where S/N was.

"She's not here."

"Maybe she went to ours?" Kokichi asked. "She didn't follow us outside."

Since S/N was nowhere in sight, Kokichi and I decided to head back to our own apartment. It was likely that she was there waiting for us. As we climbed up the stairs, all I could hear was the light, quiet sound of Kokichi and I's footsteps. I knew that peace wouldn't last much longer—things would be anything but peaceful by the time we got to S/N.

Once we were in front of our apartment door, I immediately noticed that S/N was just standing there, her eyes glued to her phone. A small, surprised noise escaped my lips, causing S/N to direct her attention towards me. 

"Y/N, are you okay? I was trying to call you!" She exclaimed, pointing her finger towards me. However, her gaze on me didn't last very long; within seconds, it shifted towards Kokichi. "Hey, um....Chikara?" She asked, uncertainty within her voice. "You didn't explain before. S-she was wrong, right? There's no way you're him." She paused for a few seconds, her eyes widening. "O-or maybe she—"

"S/N, hush," I said, placing a finger to her lips, regaining her attention. "I'm fine and we're going to explain, okay? We just need you to calm down and be quiet."

"Do you think you can manage that?" Kokichi asked quietly, his voice sounding rather blunt.

"F-fine..." 

Once the three of us had entered the apartment and made our way into the living room, S/N plopped down onto the couch with little hesitation. I shifted my gaze towards Kokichi for a few seconds, unable to tell what was running through his mind due to the bland expression upon his face. Surely, he had to be scared, didn't he? Within seconds, I pushed that thought aside and took a seat next to my sister. My gaze met hers, and my stomach began to churn. 

"Please don't freak out or anything," I said, my eyes narrowing. "But..."