Chapter Ten: Fear and Forgiveness.

Hello, everyone!
I'm sorry for slow updates.

I've kept to updating anywhere between every 1-3 weeks, and I intend to at least keep that up, but I'm hoping to get chapters out a bit sooner than three weeks in the future.
Thanks so much for the continued support even though it does take me some time to get stuff out. Personally, I'd rather take longer than just throw some stuff down quickly.

___

        As I took in the serious expression upon Shuichi's face, I grew increasingly nervous to hear his decision. On top of that, I was also pretty nervous to hear what he had to say concerning Maki. She and I had had a less than pleasant interaction the last time we crossed paths, so I feared that she would influence his decision. As my mind raced, I nervously fiddled with the handle of my mug upon the table, and struggled to keep eye contact.

"Ah, okay," I replied. "So, what is your decision then?"

"Before we bring that up, I want to apologize for Maki," he said. "I know this should be coming from her, but I'm not so sure she's ready for that." His gaze softened a bit. "Deep down, I know she doesn't hate you, ___."

"Really?"

"I don't know all too much about what her life was like before the game, but I think she's always had trouble trusting people. Even after all these years, she still won't tell me anything," he said, a sorrowful laugh escaping his lips.

Shuichi had been by her side for several years, including the time within the game. They survived that hell together, but she still remained closed off from him; from someone she considered a close friend. Though, thinking back to the game, Kaito seemed more capable of getting someone, specifically Maki, to open up—but then why was Shuichi the only one standing by her side?

"...W-what about Kaito?" I asked, a tad of hesitation in my voice. "What happened with him?"

"Well, Maki and Kaito moved in together shortly after the game ended. Just like all of us, they weren't carbon copies of their in game selves, but they shared many similarities. Even after the game, they still cared for each other," he said, a frown settling upon his lips. "Most of us did, actually. Some of us even tried to remain close and keep in touch, but that didn't last..."

"So, where is he now?"

"A while back, I expressed to Maki and Kaito that I planned on moving," he replied. "Shortly after that, Maki demanded to come with me. The both of us left, and she didn't even tell him goodbye, or that she was leaving with me. Since then, neither of us have spoken with him..." His volume lowered a tad, and he shifted his gaze down towards the table. "I tried to explain why Maki left with me, but he wouldn't answer my messages..."