Flashback (Interrogation)

Spring 2012

"Am I in trouble?" I ask Sheriff Stilinski the moment I sit down across from him in the principal's office

"Am I in trouble?" I ask Sheriff Stilinski the moment I sit down across from him in the principal's office. I was not a perfect student, but I had never been called the to principal's office before in my life. My nerves were not calmed when I saw it was the Sheriff, not the principle, sitting at the desk.

"No, not at all," He responds with a reassuring smile, "I just wanted to ask you a few questions if that is alright?"

"Okay," I respond, still feeling nervous.

"Did you know Mr. John Lahey? Isaac Lahey's father? My report says that you two had been very close growing up." He asks and I am shocked by both the content of the question, and the use of past tense.

"Yes, Isaac and I were good friends growing up so I knew Mr. Lahey really well. Is he okay? Has something happened?"

"I'm sorry I have to tell you this Eleanor but he passed away last night. Evidence suggests it was homicide and we have witnesses who claim they heard Isaac and his father arguing the night of the murder. I wanted to ask you some questions about the nature of his relationship with his father."

"What?" I ask, completely shocked, "You must have this wrong, Mr. Lahey can't be dead. And wait, are you saying Isaac is a suspect? Isaac would never hurt anyone, he couldn't have."

The Sheriff hands me a tissue and I realize I must have started crying. I wipe my eyes, and take a moment to compose myself. The look on his face was calm and collected, but underneath I could he was uncomfortable with witnessing my grief. In a town as quiet as Beacon Hills I imagine The Sheriff isn't used to this type of conversation.

"I hate to ask this, but did you have any idea that Mr. Lahey was abusing Isaac?"

"Abusing Isaac?" I echo, "He was abusing Isaac? What?"

"So you never had any suspicion?"

"No, I mean growing up their relationship seemed great. After Camden died Mr. Lahey would sometimes get a bit angry at Isaac but nothing like what you are saying."

"I see," The Sheriff says, taking a few notes.

"How did you find out? I mean, who told you this was happening? Why didn't anyone stop it?" I ask, still in disbelief.

"I'm afraid I can't disclose that information," The Sheriff responds, "But I am equally disturbed that no one had intervened on Isaac's behalf."

I begin racing through the possibilities of who could have possibly known about this and done nothing. I think back to how I ran into a smug looking Jackson my the way into the office. He had mumbled something about a waste of time as he passed. I remember at once that Jackson is Isaac's neighbor, someone in close proximity to the abuse. My mind is made up before I even speak the words.

"Was it Jackson? Jackson Whittmore? Was he the one who told you?"

"I'm sorry Eleanor, we can't just reveal information like that," He says, but the look on his face said everything I needed to know, "If I could just ask you a few more questions..."

I answered the rest of the questions as fast as I could. Was Isaac ever aggressive with you? No. Did Isaac ever give you any reason to think he might be capable of murder? No. Do you believe that Mr. Lahey was capable of abusing Isaac? I don't know. When was the last time you had contact with either of them? Years ago.

I was still in shock when I left the office. At this point class had ended, and the halls were filled with students getting ready to leave for the day. I didn't even realize I was looking for him until I was stood in front of his locker. Jackson was there, gathering his books and checking himself out in the mirror. Danny was there too, and he gave me a smile as I walked. One look at my face though and his smile faded.

"Is it true?" I ask, and Jackson turns around.

"Is what true?" he asks, giving me an annoyed glance.

"Did you know that Isaac was getting abused by his father?" I watch as Jackson's face doesn't change, but I see Danny look over at him in shock.

"So what if I did Eleanor?"

That was all I needed to here. In a burst of fury I rush at him and push him up against the lockers. Danny immediately pulls me off him, holding me back as I shout at him. I don't care about the scene I'm making, despite feeling the eyes of my classmates watching me.

"You bastard!" I yell, "How could you not tell anyone!"

"Get that freak away from me Danny." Jackson spits out

"Eleanor, let's go," Danny says, pulling me away, but then turns to Jackson and says, "This is too far man. You went too far this time."

Danny guides me outside, ignoring the crowd that has been drawn in by my outburst. I didn't need to see the look on Jackson's face to know that Danny's words had actually gotten to him. We only make it as few steps out the door before I turn to Danny and sob into his chest. I continued to sob the entire way home, and well into the night.