Chapter 17

Nora was glad that this was the day she picked to show Rafe around. The season of cosy knit sweaters, the atmosphere and the market added a bit of magic. Twilight blanketed the town earlier, and the streets were carpeted with lights from the inns, pubs and cottages. The market was bustling with voices and songs from portable speakers. Each stall had its own gem - fresh dairy produce, seasonal delicacies, homemade pies and handcrafted trinkets.

As the weather chilled and nightfall came earlier, fairy lights hung around the trees, all the shops and cottages creating a soft ambience. People drank mulled wine and hot cider. The air was filled with the smell of roasted chestnuts and fried churros.

"This," Rafe said, gobbling up his pumpkin and cream tartlet, "is amazing." Lorraine, the maker of the said tartlets, stood beaming and smoothing down her apron as she watched Rafe singing praises over her homemade goods. No one was immune to his good looks and charm, it seemed.

Nora took him on a gourmet tour which had started off with a potato and leek pie, cheesy spinach quiche, and now they had stopped to taste a variety of tartlets. She told him to come to the tour hungry and by the looks of it, he was starving. Rafe was on his was on his sixth tartlet.

"Okay enough, you won't have space for dessert," Nora said, pulling him away from the stand.

"Oh trust me this is just an appetiser for me. What is for dessert?"

"It's my grandmother's pièce de résistance. White chocolate and peanut butter brownie." Rafe let out an appreciative moan. "That sounds incredible already. Is she here? Your grandma?"

"No, she's home. Jeremy is selling the sweet stuff on her behalf."

As they approached the stall with desserts, Nora inhaled a lungful of sweet air. Jeremy lived three cottages away from her and owned the Bread & Better bakery. He was a cheerful man in his forties who left the stresses of a corporate job behind to pursue his passion for sweets. When Nora first moved to Berk and found herself feeling completely out of place, he had told her she would learn to love this place in time and cherish the peacefulness of the town and the fresh morning air. And he was right. Nora had found beauty even in the crookedness of cobblestones that lined the roads and walls of old inns and churches.

"What's that amazing smell?" Rafe asked.

"It's freshly made toffee," Jeremy answered, showing him pyramids of tiny, camel brown cubes of toffee with flavours such as butterscotch, Bailey's Irish whisky, peanut butter, banana split and caramel. They grabbed a piece of her grandma's brownie, a couple of toffees, and a cup of tea and found an unoccupied bench.

Cleanliness always came first, so she had the antiseptic wipes, napkins and wet wipes for both of them. The start of the gourmet tour began with wiping their hands with sanitiser. Rafe was no longer surprised at her obsession and went along, following her routines without swearing or jibing.

"Man, I haven't eaten this well in so long. I don't think I've ever had a brownie this good," Rafe said, letting out a satisfying sigh.

"Ohh this one is just the best," Nora said, taking a bite of crème brûlée flavoured toffee. The soft buttery texture melted on her tongue and reminded her of her childhood.

"Oh, let me try that one," Rafe said, opening his mouth. She realised both of his hands were occupied, so it was up to her to feed him. She broke off a piece and gently put it in his mouth. His lips brushed her fingertips, and it made her tummy tingle. She was glad it was getting dark because her blush would've been obvious– the downside of having such pale skin.

Rafe paid no mind to her reaction and closed his eyes in bliss.

Now that their gourmet tour was over, she wasn't sure what else would impress him. Berk couldn't compete with London, especially for a city boy like Rafe, but it had its little treasures.

She had shown him the town's church, and they browsed through some vintage shops. There were some old houses of semi-famous poets, writers and inventors spread out. They walked down the high street that was brimming with lights from different shops and restaurants. Nora pointed out a couple, and Rafe took note.

"This one has nice seafood...they bring fresh oysters from Dover every Monday..."

"If you go here, always ask for the special when picking dessert..."

"If you feel like a steak, this is the place to be..."

Rafe had been to a couple already and made a note to himself to visit those Nora had advised. She hasn't recommended any bars or pubs because she didn't frequent them. He and his friends mostly went to pubs on the weekends after a game of football.

"If the weather was warmer, we would've gone hiking. There's a hilly area and an ancient, mediaeval fort. It's beautiful."

"We can go in summer," Rafe said with an indifferent shrug. He was sure they weren't missing out on much. Truthfully, he enjoyed eating and drinking more than he'd enjoy hiking.

Nora hugged herself and let out a chuckle. "I'm not going to be your tutor anymore in summer...we probably won't hang out like this again."

Rafe stopped in his tracks. "Cara, of course, we'll hang out. We're mates, aren't we?"

"I guess so," she said with a noncommittal shrug, tucking away a strand of her hair. 

He snaked his arm around her shoulders, giving her a squeeze. "Of course we are."

Nora hadn't shrugged him off or reminded him of personal space. She could admit to herself that she was beginning to be comfortable around him. Maybe a little too comfortable.

He was getting to know her so much better that sometimes she forgot that she promised herself not to get involved with boys like him anymore. But when he's carrying her heavy bags, opening doors for her, asking her how her grandmother's health is and listening to her with understanding and almost admiration, it was hard to label him as one of those guys. His devilish smirk or a genuine, boyish grin would throw her off, and she'd find herself wanting to laugh along with him.

Nora smiled. "All right, mate. We'll go in summer. Now I have one more place to show you, and we can see it from there."

"Lead the way."