Chapter 40

Nora hadn't realised just how small their house was until it was crammed with guests. Benny, Simon, Rafe, her mum Ayame and Grandma sat snugly around the small dining table, having drinks before the Leaver's Ball.

Rafe had looked weirdly nervous about meeting her mum, but now, an hour and two glasses of wine later they sat and talked as if they'd known each other for years. Simon, Benny and Grandma had their eyes glued on the television, watching the Great British Bake-off Finale while polishing off a bottle of Prosecco.

Nora gazed at her long lavender-coloured chiffon dress gifted by her mum, she had never felt so beautiful in her life. She could have stayed there forever with her friends and family, but the clock on the wall caught her attention. She stood up a little too fast and felt the wine hit her in a pleasing way.

"Guys, let's go, we're already late for Leavers Ball," she said, grabbing her shawl and her bag.

"Chotto matte Nora-chan we have to take pictures!" her mother said. "Let's go outside, quickly."

Rafe grinned and laced his arm around Nora's shoulders as her mum went to rummage through her things in search of a camera.

"Your mum is so adorable. And seriously, she looks like your younger sister. What is it with Asians and not ageing," Rafe said, ruffling his hair.

"Stop it," Nora said, grabbing his arm, "it took me ages to style your unruly hair!"

"Style?" He asked, recalling how much gel and combing and swearing they went through.

"You're never touching my hair again."

"Okay everyone, please get ready! I want this photo framed!" Her mum commanded in a childlike voice. After taking several photos, some with just couples, some altogether and mostly downright goofy, they headed out to the school grounds.

Upon arriving, they made their way to the football fields where three giant round marquees were set up. Inside the first, they discovered a dance floor and various stands serving Pimms, Aperol Spritz and other beverages. The second marquee was dedicated to food. The third marquee had school year photos from different events, and of trophies ready to be handed out. It was a hot summer's day, and the boys struggled to look cool in their tuxedos.

The girls looked beautiful out of their uniforms, in bright coloured silks and chiffons that made them look like flowers on the field of greenery.

Rafe's group of friends gravitated towards him. It was nice to see Jack out of the picture form. good. His suspension had been mourned by no one. Benny felt more at ease with everyone and had become close with Amber when he found out they were both going to the same university in London to study English Literature.

"Tch. My feet will get dirty," Nora muttered, as her heels sunk into the muddy ground.

"Oh, don't get your knickers in a twist. You have plenty of shoes," Rafe replied, giving her a nudge.

Nora smirked and leaned into his ear. "I'm not wearing any knickers."

Rafe sucked in his breath and ran his hand down her back. "Let's go home. I've seen enough of this party. It's lame."

"No!" She protested with a laugh as he began to drag her back to where the cab had dropped them off.

"Guys, what are you doing? Let's go!" Benny called as the others entered the tent. A crowd had gathered to listen to the headmaster's speech about all the achievements they had reached as a community, how many matches they won, which competitions they beat and how much money they'd raised for charity over the year.

"And now, we would like to take this moment to recognise some of the outstanding talents of the school. In the sports category, I would like to award Captain of the Year to William Manuel." There was instant applause. Bashfully, he went up to the stage to grab a small trophy.