Chapter 2

"Wait here."

The attendant motioned to the metal chairs lining the walls outside the military office, before turning and leaving. Erin stood uncertainly in the center of the waiting room, glancing around at the surroundings that had never changed since she was a child, wondering if she had made the right decision. Gerald had desperately wanted to go with her.

"You might need back up, or someone to help you fight your way out at least." He argued, holding on to her hand tightly.

"Thanks, but I really have to do this on my own. He's my father, if he wanted to get rid of me, he has much easier ways to do it then calling me to his office."

He hadn't been convinced. "But... what if you..."

"Gerald." Her voice had been firm. "This is my decision."

His hand tightened for a moment, and then let go. "I'll respect that." He briefly touched her face, his face sad. "But if you need me, don't hesitate to call."

She had left him behind, but now, standing in front of the door that led to her father, she felt very much alone. This room was so familiar, how many times had she sat here, filled with anticipation, waiting to see her father?

When she was younger, Erin had been desperate for his approval. Each time a new ability of hers was discovered, she would happily come to his office, waiting in this room patiently for him to have a spare moment to see her. The door would open, she would happily announce her latest power, hoping that this time, just maybe, he would be impressed. Each time, he would stare silently at her, measuring her worth. He would then ask what power level she had been judged to be. Upon hearing a 3 or a 4, he would immediately lose interest, dismissing her from his sight and breaking her heart all over again.

Erin glanced around at the office, the paintings of past generals on the walls seeming to stare back at her disapprovingly. With a long sigh, she sat down on one of the chairs, trying desperately not to think of the last time she had sat in this office.

She was eight years old. She had woken up with a familiar feeling, and excited, her mother had brought her before an insight specialist once again. They confirmed she had developed an eighth ability: illusion type powers. The people in the office had been so complimentary, so impressed with her abilities. A typical "talented" person may have 3 or 4 abilities; level 4 abilities were fairly rare. To have eight... they called Erin a genius, and she believed it must be true.

Excited, she raced to her father office. Sitting in the metal chair, swinging her legs back and forth, unable to contain her cheerful energy.

This time he'll be impressed. He has to be. She thought to herself.

Finally he came out, his frame filling the doorway. He was silent, but his dark eyes studied her closely, seeming to see her and through her at the same time. Nervous, trembling she got to her feet, and lifted a hand. An image of a flower projected above it, starting as a bud and blooming into a beautiful white lily. The illusion faded, and she stared at the floor, too nervous to look at his expression.

"Level?" A single word, but it carried so much meaning within.

"..." She didn't want to say.

"What level was it appraised at?" His voice carried weight with it, making her feel crushed.

"...Three." She whispered.

"Worthless." Losing interest, he turned back to his office.

Erin lost it. She had come to this office so many times, and never once had she earned his approval. Without thinking she stepped forward, raising her voice and arguing.