Chapter 13

Erin came to visit the practice field early the next day. She was expecting to find a quiet scene Gerald and Frederick diligently training. That was most definitely not the case.

Gerald stood tall, his face impassive, his arms crossed. Isabelle was close next to him, clutching some sort of box, sobbing uncontrollably. Richard, his brother was shouting while pointing a finger in the other boy's face. All of this was being spectated by Frederick, who stood off to the side with a malicious grin while eating snacks. Erin approached him first; taking a handful of the salted treats and watched alongside him.

"What happened?" She asked quietly, staring at the dramatic scene before them.

"You missed the best part!" Frederick laughed. "Let me catch you up to speed: We were minding our own business, when the little psychotic princess comes over and offers Gerald some homemade food or whatever." He raised an eyebrow as he glanced over at Erin. "Did you know she was trying to move in on your territory? Anyways, Gerald says 'No, you stupid cow, screw off!' like any respectable boyfriend would, although he was disappointingly much more polite about it."

Erin was starting to get a headache. "And Richard?"

"I'm getting to it! Shush! So psycho starts sobbing about how Gerald doesn't love her anymore and who would show up but her current fiancé!" He chuckled, his eyes flashing with delight. "Just too delightful. Now he's shouting and here we are. Let's listen." He offered the bag over to Erin and she grabbed another handful, chewing quietly as they continued to watch the drama.

"Stay away from my fiancé!" Richard was spitting with rage.

Gerald sighed. "I don't want your fiancé. You may or may not have noticed, but I have zero interest in that girl. I'm currently courting someone else!"

Isabelle sobbed louder. Richard turned to her irritably. "What are you crying about? You aren't even engaged to Gerald anymore! Why were you trying to make him food in the first place?" Isabelle ignored him, continuing to look miserable.

"And Gerald! You may think that just because you found a girl that our parents approve of that you have a chance at the throne, but I have made my own plans, my own deals. I will be king, Gerald, NO MATTER WHAT!" With that, he grabbed his fiancé's hand and stomped away.

"..." Gerald stared silently after them, frowning uncomfortably.

"Aww... just when it was starting to get interesting." Frederick complained to Erin.

"Erin!" The frown melted away when Gerald saw her, his whole face lighting up with happiness. "You came by!"

"Thought I would drop in and check on how your practice was going." She smiled. "Sorry, didn't bring any homemade food to woo you with."

Gerald shuddered. "Don't know what that girl is thinking. She made it very clear she had no interest when she left me for my brother."

"Maybe she has regrets?"

"Too bad, I don't." He reached out and hugged her, the embrace stretching out, as both were reluctant to let go.

"..." Frederick coughed uncomfortably. "Guys, do you want me to leave?"

They broke apart, laughing, both faces turning red. "Well, um... yeah... I'll let you two get back to practice." Erin looked back at Gerald one last time, grinning. "Promise me you'll be careful."

Gerald spread his hands wide and shrugged. "Of course, I will be just fine, I promise."

Frederick groaned. "Idiot, now you're definitely going to die."

"Shut up!"

The boys went back to fighting each other, and Erin walked away, the lighthearted conversation doing nothing to dispel the heavy feeling in her chest. Part of her wished that morning wouldn't come.