Chapter 7

"Why are you so excited?"

Erin was holding Gerald's hand as they sat below deck, waiting for the ship to land. He had been grinning for the past half hour, and finally, curious, she had asked him about it. She felt his hand squeeze her own as he considered her question.

"We're so close to landing. It's been months since I last saw the Ellurine Alliance... my home."

"Do you miss it?"

He smiled at her. "A bit... the countries aren't that different, but there was quite a few things I had to get used to... especially the food." He chucked. "It's so bland! But mostly, I miss my family."

Erin nodded slowly, thinking it over. "You said you have two sisters right?"

"Yes, they're awesome, you would really get along. My oldest sister Catherine... she's tough, threw away the throne, her station, my parent's approval, all for love." His smile faded a bit, and he sighed. "I don't know if we'll get to see her much. She and my parents still weren't talking when I left."

"What about your younger sister?" Erin prodded him, hoping to cheer him up.

"That brat? You'll love her. Six years old, no powers yet other than wrapping her older siblings around her fingers. She's adorable and knows it... I hope she's been doing okay since Catherine and I moved out." He rubbed his forehead, obviously worried. "She only has Richard and they've... never really gotten along."

"That's your younger brother, right?" Erin asked, wrapping his hand tightly between her own. "The one who..." She trailed off, embarrassed.

"The fiancé stealing one, you mean?" He laughed, but the sound was slightly bitter. "I should be grateful, he did me a favor in the end. I would have regretted marrying that woman, but..." He looked down at their hands, his expression hidden. "He's my brother. I should be able to trust him with my life."

"..." Erin didn't know what to say in response to that, so she just continued holding Gerald's hand until they heard the shout that the ship was landing.

As they climbed up the stairs to arrive on deck, Erin took her first look at the Ellurine Alliance. The whole place seemed busy, alive in a way that Erin's hometown never really was. Everywhere she looked there were people... talking, laughing, bartering, shouting. Children ran down the road, kicking a ball between them. Women in colorful dresses flitted from store to store like butterflies, carrying large bags bulging with purchases. Stalls showing all sorts of goods lined the paths their owners calling out to pedestrians to try ut their wares. The whole port was decked out with bright streamers and lights. The shore was crowded as people gathered to stare at the big ship as it docked. It was all very bright, noisy... overwhelming.

That was when she heard a scream.

Startled, everyone looked towards the source of the noise, a very tall woman in a bright red dress. With a quick wind spell, she lifted up into the air, landing on the deck before throwing herself at Gerald, knocking him back a few feet. She was still making noise, something Erin realized now was more of an excited squeal rather than the scream of terror she initially had mistaken it for.

"GERALD! YOU'RE HOME!" The woman hugged him tightly, lifting the young man off the ground, a feat only possible since she was taller than him by a good few inches.

"C-Catherine?" Gerald stammered, smiling brightly. "I didn't realize you were picking us up!"

Catherine, as in, Gerald's older sister? Just as Erin was catching up, Gerald had been set back on his feet with a loud thump, the woman grinning at him. "Of course I came to pick you up! You think I would just let my little brother come back with no one to welcome him?!"