Chapter 10

"Your... parents." Erin stared at the handsome couple before her blankly for a few moments, before giving a polite bow.

"Your Majesties."

The woman laughed, reaching out to grab Erin's arm and pulling her down to the seat next to her. "No need to be so formal dear, you can call me Agatha, and my husband Charles."

"Or father-in-law." Low muttered words were spoken by the king, Erin couldn't quite hear it clearly.

Gerald sat on the other side of Erin, grabbing her hand and holding it as he spoke.

"Did you seriously use a royal summons as an excuse to lure Erin here to interrogate her as my new girlfriend?"

"What?" The king looked greatly offended. "Of course not! We would never do something so underhanded."

"Never." The queen agreed with an innocent expression.

Gerald didn't look convinced. "So what did you want to talk to her about then?"

"About..." The older man looked around, as if searching for an answer. "...the attack of course! Can you tell us about it, dear?"

"Well..." Gerald started to respond, when before being cut off by his mother.

"We weren't asking you... We want to hear from this lovely young lady."

"..." Erin was slightly shocked, but didn't feel like she could refuse. She took a deep breath and described the opening sequence of events. The king and queen listened carefully, interrupting to ask more specific questions.

"How many men were there?"

"What type of weapons?"

"What kind of man are you looking for as an ideal husband?"

"DAD!" Gerald broke in at that last question, his face turning red. The king showed an innocent expression.

"What?"

"That last one clearly wasn't about the attack at all!"

"I don't know what you're talking about. This is an important topic regarding the safety of our country, I would never use it as an opportunity to get to know my future daughter-in-law."

"Your what?" Erin asked.

"Anyways... back to the topic, did they identify themselves in any way?"

Erin described their words before they took their lives. Hearing the whole story the king nodded solemnly. "I see, that's much more information than we have gotten on this group previously, you and your team's ingenuity in capturing them alive is greatly appreciated."

He turned to his wife. "See, I told you! She's smart, capable, thinks quickly in critical situations... she would be a great future queen."

"It's definitely reassuring." The Queen smiled at Gerald as she agreed. "At least he had the good sense to bring back someone intelligent. We could plan for a spring wedding."

Erin broke out into a cold sweat. "Umm... Your Majesties?"

"I told you, no need to be so polite, just call us by our names."

The king added to his wife's words "Or just call us Mom and Dad."

Gerald groaned and covered in face in embarrassment. Erin pushed forward awkwardly. "I don't want you to have the wrong impression, Gerald and I are not engaged."

"..." The couple stared at her blankly for a moment, before the Queen nodded sadly. "Oh we know dear, but we still have hope for the future."

"Exactly!" The king agreed, "Is there anything about Gerald you really don't like? We know he can be a bit noisy at times."