Chapter 2

"What the hell!" I hiss at the guy standing at my window. I'm mad for a sliver of a second, but when he smiles at me my insides turn to mush. The corner of his lips turns up just a little bit, and there's humor in his eyes so the smile looks more goofy and grin-like than anything.

"Can I come in?" He asks.

"I really don't think I should let a stranger into my house, much less my bedroom," I say, raising my eyebrow. I'm totally joking, but I want see if he'll catch on to that. He's my mate, so he's not actually going to have a choice.

"First of all, I'm you're mate. That makes me anything but a stranger. Second of all, my names Max. Now I'm not a stranger," he smirks. I smile, shake my head, and let him in. He crawls through my open window so effortlessly and quietly that I'm convinced that he was a ninja in one of his last lives. "And what would your name be?"

"Brynn."

"Brynn," he says, trying it out. The sound of my name coming out between his lips sends shivers down my spine and tingles to the tips of my fingers and toes. I think Max notices, because his smirk widens. He steps closer to me and gently grabs my face between his hands. They're warm and soft, yet they have a certain strength to them that I can't figure out.

I look up at him, my bright brown eyes looking into his dark, almost-black eyes. He's looking at my so intently, whether it's because he's trying to take in every inch of me or analyze me. I really don't know nor do I care.

He brings his face down closer to mine so our lips can touch.

Woah.

This kiss is better than peanut butter M&M's and everyone knows how much I love those.

I tangle my fingers in his already messy hair, pulling his face closer to mine. The feeling of his lips on mine brings tingles to every inch of my skin, and all I know is that I want more of whatever this is.

I place my hands on his chest and push Max away slightly so I can breath. I take a deep inhale of breath, and an unfamiliar scent reaches my nose. I bury my nose in Max's neck and sniff, realizing it's him. There's another scent mixed in with the typical werewolf scent.

I pull away from him fully and look him in the eye. I already love his eyes and know I will never get tired of looking into them. "What's wrong?" Max asks, a look of concern washing over his face.

"What are you?" The question may seem rude to anyone else, but in the supernatural world, it's totally normal. There's so many different creatures that sometimes we have to ask it.

Max looks at me. He looks confused. "Don't you know what I am? I'm the same as you."

"I know you're a werewolf but there's something else mixed in with it. I've never smelt it before," I tell him. "So it's definitely not the same as me."

"But it is, Brynn," Max says. He's looking at me like I'm completely dumb, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do or say. I'm just a werewolf. There's nothing else mixed into it. I'd be able to smell it if there was, and other wolves would smell it as well. They haven't though, so there's no possible way Max is telling the truth.

"Max, I'm only a wolf. Nobody had ever smelt anything but wolf on me. You, on the other hand, are half wolf, half something else," I say, meeting his gaze. He ever so slightly shakes his head.

He looks so hot right now that I can't help but to lean towards him once again and press my lips to his. It's better than the first one.

Max pulls me into his chest firmly, deepening the kiss as he tangles his fingers in my hair. The kiss continues to get hotter and more passionate by the second, our hands roaming over each other's bodies and not being able to get enough of each other. I've never before felt the feelings that are currently exploding inside my body, and I know that Max is the one causing it. I wish there was a way to bottle up this feeling so I never had to go without it, but it's so powerful that it would be impossible to keep it in the bottle.

Certain areas in my body began to tingle, and it get stronger at an alarmingly fast rate. My wolf is pushing forward a little, along with another unfamiliar feeling. I push Max away. I know exactly what this feeling is, but it's getting harder and harder to find control over and I'm not about to sleep with someone I just met, mate or not.

Max seems to understand this and refrains himself from doing anything else, but his eyes are pitch black and surrounded by a red ring. "Your eyes," I whisper. I lightly hold his cheeks in the palms of my hands and bring his face closer to mine so I can looking more closely. There's a sparkle of lust buried deep into the black, but I'm close enough to him where I can see it and feel it. "I've never seen anyone's eyes look like this before."

"Your eyes look the same," Max whispers, bringing a hand up to gently cup my cheek. "This is what happens when you're a hybrid. Both traits mix together and this is the result."

"Mine don't look the same!" I say. I shake my head, knowing he's wrong. I've watched myself in the mirror before as my wolf has tried to come out. My eyes are pitch black, just like everyone else's. There's no way I could possibly be a hybrid. "That's not possible."

"But it is, Brynn." A shutter ran through my body when he said my name, but I'm so focused and concentrated on what's going on that it didn't affect me as much as it definitely could have.

"They've never looked like that before. I've seen myself in the mirror, Max, I know what my eyes look like," I say.

"You had no idea you were a hybrid, though. When you don't know you're a hybrid, only the pieces of you from the half that you know about show. You know about the wolf part of you, so you're showing all the signs of a werewolf, and only a werewolf."

His explanation makes sense to the point where I actually start to believe him, but that means that I have been lied to for almost my entire life. And one of my parents isn't my biological parent. I don't even know where to begin with how I think about that. I've grown up believing that my mom and dad were my biological mom and dad for my entire life, and now that's suddenly not the case? How is a person supposed to feel about that?

I look at Max. His dark eyes are wide and hopeful. "So you're obviously part wolf. What's the other part?"

"Vampire. And you're the same as I am."