Chapter 35

I frantically flip through the pages of the book at the kitchen island. There has to be something in here about the weaknesses of hybrid's. There's no way the solar eclipse is the only one.

Just one thing, and we still have a chance of defeating them.

Without realizing it, I move a hand to my stomach and flip the pages with one hand. There's a small, rounded bump, barely noticeable unless I'm wearing a swimsuit or a tight shirt. There's definitely no way anyone would be ale to tell with the over sized t-shirt of Max's I'm currently wearing. His scent still hangs off it, and I think it's the only thing keeping me from having a mental breakdown.

We're almost there, B. Please get out of there, Max mind links.

It's too late for that, Max, I respond. I'm still in the house. I might find a plan to save us.

I don't make a move to run or hide. I don't have any time to waste. I have to devote every second I have left to finding something in this book. It's our only hope. With my hand resting still resting on my stomach, I realize it's our child's only hope.

And suddenly, my determination shoots through the roof. My eyes are scanning down the pages, one after the other, looking for anything that says weakness. Anything. I've been determined to find something since Max told me they were coming, but realizing that our child's life is at stake is putting me into Mama Bear mode. If anyone gets in my way, they won't be stopping me.

I'm not worried about the pages tearing anymore. The book may look old, but these pages were made to last. They're nothing like the flimsy pages of my high school textbooks that would rip with one wrong flip.

I almost read over the word I'm looking for. I'm about to turn the page again when my brain realizes what I just read, and I snap my eyes back to the section. I read, and the tidal wave that had been building up in my chest finally hits the water. I let out a loud sigh of relief, and I can't help but laugh.

This is it.

Mara, as soon as you guys drop everyone off at Julie and Rick's, you and Hayden need to get back here as soon as possible. I know what we need to do, but I need your help.

I leave the book laying open on the counter, and I don't even bother putting shoes on before walking out the back door. I leap off the deck and shift in midair, and I take off for the pack armory.

I run faster than I ever have in my life. Even with my increased speed since finding out I'm a hybrid, this is the fastest I've ever gone. I reach the armory in record time, and I shift back into my human form.

Alpha Ryan, I mind link, What's the code for the armory? I need to get in.

He doesn't question why, and I am beyond grateful for that. I don't have time to explain anything. I just need to do. He tells me the code and I punch it into the keypad, and the doors unlock.

The armory is well organized, so I don't have any problems finding what I'm looking for. I grab as much as I can and start heading back to the house. Unable to shift because I'm carrying stuff, it takes me longer to get back.

When I do get back, though, I set my supplies on the counter and dig around the kitchen for the second thing I need. I don't have a problem finding that either. Thank the moon goddess Lacey loves to cook as much as she does.

And then I wait. I can't go any farther than this until Mara and Hayden get back. They need to finish this off, because it won't be fatal for them. I would do it by myself if I could, but I would be too weak to complete it if I did.

And I can't risk anything happening to me. My hand once again finds my stomach, resting on the small yet rounded bump. This is all it takes to remind myself that I can't risk my life for anything, because risking my life would be risking my baby's life, too.

Mara and Hayden are back within the next hour. They both slip in through the back door, breathing heavily. Werewolves don't lose their breath very easily, so I know they ran faster than they ever  thought they could.

"Brynn, what the hell is going on?" Mars gasps. "You don't give either of us any details!" She storms over to the kitchen island, but she doesn't look like she's mad at me. She looks stressed about not knowing anything.

Hayden joins the two of us at the island, his gaze landing on the supplies on the counter. He raises an eyebrow in my direction. "What—"

I shake my head to cut him off. The book is still opened to the page, so I push it their way. "Read."

Mara and Hayden both lean in, their eyes roaming back and forth as they read. Mara's face gets progressively more confused, and she looks up at me when she finishes.

"Brynn, how the hell are we supposed to do this? It's going to hurt all of us!"

I shake my head back and forth. "No. Once we mix them together, it will only be harmful to me. You and Hayden will be okay."

"And how do you plan to even execute this?" Hayden jumps in.

I take a deep breath, because there's only one way I can think of. It's probably the worst idea I could actually think of, but like I said, it's the only one. We don't have time to sit around and brainstorm another one.

"You're going to hate it," I say directly to Hayden. "The quickest way to kill all the hybrids is going to be a fire." Both of their eyes widen, but they seem to understand. "It'll spread it quickly in the air, and the hybrids won't know what's happening. They'll be too weak to get away before they realize."

"Okay," Mara says. "I don't like it—"

"I don't like it either," I agree.

"—but we're out of options."

"And," Hayden adds, "If we had more time to plan this out, it probably would be even better than the solar eclipse."

Mara and I both nod, because it's true.

"So how are we doing this?" Mara asks.

"We have to mix the wolfsbane and garlic together. We boil it to make sure it's completely mixed. Once the two are combined, it won't harm you guys. The wolfsbane will be harmless."

"How will we start it, though?" Hayden asks.

"I can start it. The wolfsbane and garlic alone won't harm me at all. Once it starts mixing together, though, it's up to you guys. When the hybrids get here, I'm going to get Max away from them, and you guys start the fire. Mix the wolfsbane-garlic mixture in with the gas."

"Brynn," Mara says softly, "Where are we going to start the fire?"

"Here."