31. Betrayal

I was running out of friends.

With Uriah gone and nobody else with whom I could speak freely immediately available, that much had become painfully evident. I tried not to wallow in lonely self-pity for too long, but after half a day of sitting in my room watching Marvel cast interviews, the Vampire Diaries, and Jeopardy (weirdly enough), I had found my way to the den in the basement that I noticed had become Jared and Camryn's favorite spot to hang out lately. 

Great job, Lyra. You found the people who get paid to dress you and do your makeup and have somehow associated them with the property of mutual best friendship. They're in a great position to give you guidance and advice. It's basically their job. Nice going.

I silenced my inner monologue by tapping lightly on the door frame and emerging into the room. Camryn and Jared looked up at me, their faces masks of concern and a willingness to help that I couldn't determine as being fake or genuine. 

"What can we help you with, honey?" Camryn began. She must have noticed something off about my facial expression. Weird. I had been trying to stay composed.

"I..." I trailed off, momentarily losing my train of thought. "How do you know I need help?"

Jared scoffed and looked up from his phone. "Please," he said. "One. You look like a lost little lamb on her way to the slaughter. Two, you wouldn't come to us if you didn't need some serious help, unless you've finally decided to take me up on my offer of giving you a bit of a fashion sense upgrade... and three, we're all you have left here."

I opened my mouth to protest, but he held up a long finger to stop me, then pushed his thick-rimmed glasses up on his nose.

"Ah. I don't want to hear your excuses. This is significantly above our pay grade, so talk fast."

"I- To be honest, I'm not really sure what I need. Why I came to you guys. I guess I'm just confused and you people tend to make the most sense around here."

Jared groaned and shifted his weight on the couch cushion.

"Don't tell me that you're a lesbian, too."

"I- Wait, what? First of all, I'm not, and second of all, what do you mean, 'too'?"

Jared gave me an unimpressed look and blinked a couple times, but Camryn elbowed him in the ribs and gave him a pointed look. Some understanding passed between them, but they recovered quickly. 

"We know about everything that goes on in these hur parts," Camryn said, exaggerating an accent. "People talk, word gets 'round."

"Well, I'm not gay, just so you know."

"A shame," Jared shook his head in fake dismay and ran a hand through his dyed-platinum coif of hair. "I know so many women who would love to make you less confused."

Camryn laughed heartily, chest heaving. "Careful, now. We all know how that went down with James Charles." Jared gasped and swatted at her arm before turning back to me.

"I am not confused! At least, not in that way." I lowered my voice, realizing that I was getting angry and heated for no reason. "I just don't really know what I should do."

"And by that, you mean who you should do, am I right, honey?" Camryn raised a playful eyebrow, but she was right, essentially. My shoulders slumped pathetically and I climbed over the back of the couch, scrambling down to position myself directly in between them on the cushions.

"Just give us everything, honey. You can trust us. We're here for you, and only you. Spill."

Jared looked at me earnestly, and then he nodded deeply, as if to encourage me to go on and vent all my problems to them. I looked from him to Camryn, who also looked stern, yet caring. I could tell that they were serious, and even if they weren't, I had no choice but to beg their advice. They were some of the only people here that had never once lied to me or manipulated me. I needed that level of trust right now.