I Promise

Narrator's POV

There was a gentle knock on the Sanctum's door. Stephen sat up slowly, being careful not wake up his sleeping son. He pulled the covers off his body and put on his slippers. Levi placed himself on his shoulders, disguising himself as a robe. Stephen stretched, yawning afterward. He made his way down the staircase. There was another knock on the door.

"I'm coming." He said. He opened the door. "Oh." He said as he noticed who it was. He overlapped the two sides of the robe and tied a knot with the strap. "Hello Stark."

"Stephen, good morning." Tony smiled a little. He was standing at the door in a gray suit, with his sunglasses on, and a bouquet of flowers in his hands. "How've you been?" He asked.

"I've been fine." Stephen said, holding his ground. Whatever Tony had up his sleeve, he wasn't falling for it.

"That's good." Tony said. "I brought you these." Tony stretched his arm out, trying to hand the bouquet to Stephen.

"I'll make sure to thank the florist." Levi appeared from his disguise and took the flowers. "Take them to the kitchen." Levi disappeared with the flowers. Tony and Stephen stood there in silence. 

"How's Peter?" Tony asked.

"Fine." Stephen answered.

The two stood in silence again.

"Well, it was good seeing you up and about. I've got to make breakfast now." Stephen began to close the door.

"Stephen listen, I-" Tony stuck his foot in the door, preventing Stephen from closing the door.

"Listen Stark, whatever things you've got up your sleeve are not going t-"

"The thing is that I miss you... A lot." Tony said, Stephen stood on the other side of the door, listening through the crack in the door that Tony was holding with his foot. "I haven't slept properly in four days because I stay up thinking about you and Peter. I miss my son Stephen. I miss my husband. I miss my family." Tony said. "This whole jealousy thing was stupid. I'm sorry Stephen, I'm so sorry. I just don't want to be alone. I hate being alone, my heart hurts. I know I hurt you and Peter, and I'm so sorry. I really am, but please don't leave me alone. You two are the most important things in my life." Tony said.

Stephen was on the other side of the door, with his head against the wooden door with pools of tears in his eyes.

Tony removed his foot from the door, waiting for Stephen to do something. He stood there, nervously awaiting the wizard's next move. His head perked up a little when he saw the door open a little more. Stephen was tearing.

"Did you recite that in front of the mirror before you came over?" Stephen asked, giving a small smile.

"Oh Stephen." Tony pulled Stephen close and held him.

"I missed you so much. I missed you every minute we spent apart." Stephen said, holding Tony close with tears rolling down his cheeks. Tony pulled away from Stephen and took his face in his hands, drawing him in for a kiss.

They shared a sweet short kiss. Stephen looked at Tony, who had a small soft smile on his face. "Don't cry Stephen, please." Tony wiped away the tears on his husband's face.

Stephen placed his head on Tony's shoulder, and began to quietly sob. "Just please don't do that again. Please."

Tony held him close, placing a hand on the back of Stephen's neck. "It's okay Stephen. It's okay. I promise." Tony said. They stood at the door, holding each other for a while.

There were fast footsteps hurrying down the staircase. Peter was standing at the bottom of the staircase in his pajamas. He gasped. "Dad!" He ran over to his dads and embraced them both. The whole family was reunited again.

Suddenly there was the sound of something heavy falling behind them. The three of them looked behind them. Wong stood behind them, he had set down some boxes behind the happy family. "Take him Stark. He won't shut up about you." He said.

Tony gave Wong a smile.

///0///0

It was early morning and the sun began to slowly rise, doing it's daily peeking into Stephen's and Tony's room. It shed it's light upon the sleeping couple. They were under the sheets. Stephen was already awake, listening to his husband's peaceful, quiet breathing. He watched Tony's chest rise and fall and admired the blue glow coming from it. The arc reactor made a quiet zooming noise like no other heart, making Stephen smile. His husband's heartbeat was unique, and he loved that. He felt Tony shift a little.

Tony gave a quiet moan and began to stretch.

"Good morning my love." Stephen said, kissing Tony's chin.

Tony was a little startled at fist, but relaxed after he remembered who was in his bed. He slowly opened his eye, laying them upon his lovely husband. "Morning." He said. Stephen looked up at Tony, and Tony looked down at him. They shared a lazy peck.

"How'd you sleep?" Stephen asked, smiling.

"Better now that I've got the love of my life back." Tony smiled.

"I-"

"I slept great!" Suddenly Peter popped out from under the sheets.

"AAAH!" Tony and Stephen both jumped out of the bed.

"Peter, what are you doing here?" Tony asked.

"I missed my Iron Dad." Peter said. Tony gave him a soft smile and messed up Peter's already messy hair.

"Me too." Tony smiled.

Peter looked at Stephen. "Dad, what's for breakfast?"