Chp 18:

Tessa:

We all took our seats, Nick next to me on my right.

Kirsten next to me on my left, my mom next to Kirsten.

Aunt Jen, my dad and Drew across from us.

"So Nick, tell me a little bit more about yourself?" said my dad as he took a swig of his glass of water and looked intently at him.

Nick fidgeted in his seat and cleared his throat

"Okay, well I'm twenty-seven years old, I have a younger brother named Elias who is twenty-two.

And I'm the son of the man who owns-excuse me used to own the company Tessa works for."

Drew's eyes grew wide "Wait, so you're Robert Piercy's son? Nicolai Piercy? Dude, woah! I love your vodka line, it's the best." Drew said excitement in his voice.

Nick gave him a half smile, it looked fake. "Thank you"

"Nick, if you don't mind my asking, I couldn't help but see that your parents are getting a divorce.

If that is the case, who is taking over the company?" asked my way too curious mother.

My eyes darted to hers "Mom!" I said in slightly hushed tone. She shrugged "No, it's fine. I will be." he said sitting up tall in his chair.

My mouth opened in shock. "Wait, you've decided?" I said looking at him, he nodded and kept his eyes on my family.

He was acting weird. I couldn't tell why.

"Wow, that's a lot of responsibility for someone as young as yourself."

"Yes, but sometimes you've got to be willing to do whatever it takes to help out the ones you love."

My mom's face softened "I couldn't agree more, well to Nick for starting a new chapter in his career." she said raising her glass of red wine.

As did everyone else at the table. "Thank you"

I slouched back into my seat and sighed, if only I could tell what he was thinking. He was being so weird, distant, short.

Why?

We oohed and awed as our chef cooked in front of us.

Chopping pieces of shrimp and steak up.

Placing onions on top of each other and pouring oil into the middle of it, as steam arose, looking like a volcano.

Our food was placed onto our plates and we began to eat, the food was delicious.

I was surprised at how well I was feeling now.

I looked next to me as Nick ate his food, slowly, gracefully.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked, whispering in his ear.

He sat up a bit "Yes, of course" he said wiping his lips with a napkin, he did it so gracefully then took a sip of water.

How was it that he could make the most normal, everyday things look so elegant and graceful?

"Tess, do you remember when we were dating how we used to always go on walks to the coffee shop.

Down the street, from our neighborhood and we always ordered the same thing but switched them and drank the others." Drew said looking at me, a deep grin on his face.

I laughed "Yes, and you always got frustrated cause I always ordered those Apricot scones and I'd never share with you.

I still don't understand why you wouldn't just buy yourself one?" I said with a laugh.