9. Echo

"What?"

My voice came out in a whisper, the shock of his words rendering me almost speechless.

Liam's eyes seemed to have widened after I spoke up.

"I'm sorry that kind of just came out. It wasn't meant to come out like. Shit, Liam. You idiot," he cursed at himself.

I watched as he ran his hands through his hair and I just couldn't keep my eyes off of him.

I so desperately wanted and waited for him to tell me this was some kind of joke, a really cruel joke...but he doesn't.

"I'm confused," I muttered, my voice still barely audible.

Liam then sighed and looked at me. "Rena, the new girl you were with in Calc, Julie, I like her. I saw her and I don't know what happened, I just really can't stop thinking about her. The whole day I tried and I can't..."

"You like..."

Please don't say it.

"Julie. Yes," he nodded.

I didn't know what to say, but Liam carried on talking. "Rena, I've been such a dick to you and we live right next to each other and I haven't spoken to you. But please, Rena, I'm being honest. I like her."

He then took my hands within his hold, resting both of our joined hands on my my lap.

"You and I. That's what I said and I stand by it. You were my friend and you will always be. I haven't acted like you were, but you are. Rena, you're my friend and I don't care if people know that. I'll shout it from the rooftops if you want me to," he said.

Not once did Liam lose eye contact with me. No, he held me locked in this gaze. Meanwhile, I searched his face, his eyes, still waiting for this not be true.

"Friend..." I reiterate.

I thought that I wouldn't mind that before, but now, it leave a bitter taste in my mouth just saying the word.

As soon as I spoke, Liam raised one of his hands and cupped my face.

"Yes, friend. My friend. My first friend that I made here. What you think about me matters. You're the only one I can come to help me with Julie, but I want you to know that what I'm feeling is genuine, I'm not gonna use her. I want to be with her. I need you to help me, Rena. Please," Liam pleads his case.

I didn't even know what I was meant to say at this point...to anything he said.

"I..." I began to say, and he squeezes my hand.

"I know I'm a prick. I talk to you after so long and already I ask you to help me. But you're the only one, Rena," he said.

But I'm not.

I can't look away from his eyes.

"Julie," I said her name in a whisper.

It's finally registering that this isn't a joke. Maybe a cruel joke fate is playing with me, but he isn't joking. No, he's serious.

"I know it's weird. I've only just looked at the girl and I'm talking as if I've fallen for her, but I feel like I have. She looks like an angel, and there's just something about her, I can't explain it," he rambled on and then looked at me once again. "Will you help me, Rena?" He asked.

This is too much.

"I need you to leave," I tell him, my voice sounding so soft, even to me.

"What?" Liam looked at me confused.