Part Fifteen

So it was true, then. Her Master had an evil alter-ego, and he was here. Now. Truly, the Dark Side was a strange thing. One side of Anakin held all the happiness the Jedi could remember: his mother, his brother, his apprentice; and the other, his sadness and anger: death, lies, unloyalty.

One thing was for certain: Darth Vader was not here to play games.

Defeat Darth Vader--

--and defeat Anakin's Dark Side so that he may finally actually rest in peace.

"You've grown in strength, Jedi," the deep, devilish voice hushed through Ahsoka's mind, "Too bad your raw talent will go to waste."

"Your Emperor is dead!'' Ahsoka said in return, activating her lightsabers and throwing off her cloak. Her normal armor had been painted white by Sabine to match with her cloak. "Your Empire has fallen! You've failed, Vader!"

"NOOO!"

Out of nowhere, the tall, black figure attacked. His saber collided with hers, both of them engaging in a graceful dance of death. Red and white reflected off the concrete walls, illuminating the room in a sense of intense urgency. It went on for what seemed like hours, flipping, stabbing, blocking, until the opposers were too tired to go on.

"Why hold onto your hope, Padawan?" Vader taunted, "With my victory, you will have none left."

"Because without hope, what is there to hold onto?" Vader did not seem intimidated by her remark, but he didn't seem touched either.

"What false words," was all he said before he attacked again.

This time, Ahsoka's arms shook as his brute strength overruled her own. With another hard, swift blow, he knocked her to the ground, defenseless.

"You've failed, Jedi."

Was this really the end?

"NOOOOOOOOOO!"

Kschhhhh!

A green light flashed above Ahsoka's head, making her whip toward where it had come from. Ezra, even though his legs were wobbling, was fighting Darth Vader. He had somehow stolen his lightsaber back from Sabine and was now fighting for her life with the graceful weapon. Sabine stood in the corner in shock, watching as the person she risked her life to save was now risking his life... again. She took out her blaster and aimed it at Vader...

"Don't!"

...and pulled the trigger. Vader froze and held out his one arm, freezing the shot in the air.

"A grave mistake, Mandalorian," Darth Vader said darkly.

To everyone's surprise, she replied with, "Maybe not."

Ezra attacked while Vader was still distracted and sliced through his middle. Vader stumbled backward, holding his torso, and then faded away into his cloud of darkness.

After a moment, they were all at peace at the altar. Ahsoka sat in the middle of a stone platform, and Sabine and Ezra stood on the edge, wondering what she was doing.

"You can go now," Ahsoka said, sitting in her meditating position.

Sabine nodded. "You're really staying?"

"They won't let me leave anyway."

Without even understanding, Sabine turned to leave. Ezra stayed for a moment and gave her a longing look.

"I'm staying if you are, Master."

Ahsoka's eyes shot open and looked at him sympathetically. "Ezra Bridger," she said, the words rolling off her tongue smoothly, but feeling like sandpaper on her heart, "You have no Master now. You have well-proven yourself a Jedi Master. Kanan would be proud."

He gave a sad smile and became very interested in his feet. "I'll miss you, Ahsoka."

"Not as much as I will you, Ezra."

He gave her another sad smile and turned to leave with Sabine. When they were in the doorway, Ahsoka called out to them:

"Tell the Rebels this isn't goodbye," she called. "This is a new beginning, actually. A genesis reborn."

Sabine and Ezra looked their friend in the eyes for what she told them wouldn't be the last time and smiled. After all, she was Ahsoka Tano: former Jedi Padawan, friend to the weak, balance of the Force.

As the Rebel and the Jedi approached the Trillion, which was somehow on some sort of landing pad near the bottom of the tower, they couldn't wait for all the new possibilities. Hera would be angry, certainly. Zeb and the rest of the crew would be overjoyed. What would Jacen think? What would Ezra think about Jacen? Surely, Hera would keep her son away from any Jedi influence. Sabine realized that Hera would never let Ezra be a part of her life anymore. The bitter general was still grieving her true love. She would never come to sorts with Sabine's disobedience. She would never understand that Sabine had to do what she did. 

Sabine helped Ezra into the passenger seat of the Trillion's cockpit. He slid into the chair with a groan. She readied the hyperdrive and launched into the sky, unsure of how this flight would go. When they were far away from Mortis and the ship was swallowed by the tunnel of lightspeed, Sabine turned to Ezra. His tired smirk was too good to be true, given all that he'd been through in these past years. 

"What?" Sabine asked, returning his smile but keeping a sarcastic tone. 

His smile widened. "I knew I could count on you."

Then he fell peacefully asleep. 

Safe at last.