26| Waking Up

Date Published: 6th May 2019

Twenty Six: Waking up

July 2018

"Is she going to be okay?"

"Don't worry, son. Her injuries weren't fatal. She'll be up in a few minutes,"

"Alright. What about him?"

There was a pause. "We should talk outside. If your sister-"

"Lead the way Dr. Patel,"

***

May cracked open her eyes. It felt like she was trying to move boulders off her eyelids in the process. The white walls around her elicited a groan from her lips.

What had she done now?

She watched the door, waiting for the doctor to enter the room, followed by an angry looking Jason ready to scold her for forgetting her pills again.

"Such a bloody drama queen," she muttered, pushing herself up. Her left shoulder and right leg screamed in pain.

White bandages?

And then it hit her. Like a fowl gust of wind on a gently drifting kite, it dragged her onto a rollercoaster of emotional abuse, throwing her back into an upturned earth at the end of it. She gazed up, wondering what had happened to her quiet life.

Ryan.

She threw the covers off her other leg and set them on the floor.

A plethora of unearthly questions blasted through her battered mind, wondering, wishing, hoping. She felt unhinged.

She put pressure on her left leg. It held.

She bent, reaching for the table for support. The sound of the door opening made her slip. Her thigh burned as it hit the floor. She felt her stitches that seemed to have been used on her shoulder, stretch.

"What the hell are you trying to do?"

Jason was at the doorway, his wheelchair directed towards the hospital bed but his face on hers. "Are you crazy?"

"Ryan-"

"I'm getting the doctor,"

"No wait. I can get up." She demonstrated this by pushing herself off the ground and back onto her bed. After falling back against the headboard she let out a strangled breath.

Jason folded his arms across his chest and gave her a sceptical look.

She gave him a watery smile. "Hi,"

He wheeled himself toward her. "You have a horrible smile,"

"Even when we were kids you could never be angry with my puppy face,"

"Dad too if I remember correctly,"

"Summer men give in way too easily." she waved.

"You're not helping your case,"

She gave him that smile again. "I'm so glad you're okay Jay,"

He relented. His hands went around her and she was engulfed in a tight hug. "May, I was so worried."

"I'm fine. I'm fine,"

He sighed. "And I was an ass to Ryan,"

"He's innocent Jason. He didn't-"

"I know. Marvin told me,"

"Marvin the butler? He's here?!"

"Marvin is one devious old butler. Apparently, when Thorne had started to strangle you, he'd grabbed a gun and shot Ingleworth. Which was why Alverez was free to turn around and shoot Thorne and then knock him out,"

"He was always nice. He got me food and bandaged my leg after Thorn left me to bleed out." She said. "But he was one of them Jason,"

"I like him,"

May raised a quizzical brow.

"I'm trying not to judge people too hard."

"And here I am trying not to trust people too easy." May laughed.

"How about somewhere in the middle?" Jason asked, smiling.

"Perfect,"

She shuffled into a more comfortable position under the blankets. Then she sighed. "I'm so tired of hospitals,"

"You're telling me,"

She smiled. Then she remembered why she'd tried to get off her bed in the first place. Her smile faded. "Jason. Ryan-is he?"

She couldn't even complete her sentence. It was like the words wouldn't come out.

"May-" he didn't continue.

"What happened Jason?" her voice cracked.

He sighed. "H-he had to go through a lot of surgery. He almost died on the operating table,"

"But he's alive?

Relief was the most beautiful feeling in that very moment. Tears began filling her eyes. She was relived.

So, so relived.

She could apologize. She could tell him how wrong she was. She could tell him everything. She would beg for his forgiveness.

An utterly useless endeavour because of the gravity of what she did though. She hadn't forgiven him. Why would he forgive her?

But-wait. If he was okay, why wasn't he here?

Did he leave?

Without saying goodbye?

Don't be silly, May. He's probably sleeping off the drugs from the operation.

He wouldn't leave a place just because you're there. He doesn't care about you that much. "Where is he Jay?"

Jason hesitated. "May, h-he's in a coma."

"What?"

"He hasn't woken up May. There might be too much damage,"

"What are you trying to say?"

"The doctors say he might never wake up,"

***
And the plot thickens.

Next Update: 8th May 2019, Wednesday.