14| The Leech

[Surprise Update because I might be too swamped to post next week. xoxo]

Date Updated: 6th April 2019

***

Chapter Fourteen: The Reformed Leech

April 2012

Why did people have so much faith?

Jason watched the teacher sprout out words that he wished he didn't want or need to listen to.

Why?

One, because he didn't really have to. He'd read the textbook and knew this stuff by heart.

Two, because he'd rather be better off doing something for his sister.

The bell rang.

He immediately maneuvered his wheelchair around his table and began pushing himself out of the classroom.

"Jason?" came the voice of the teacher. He sighed. Of course, he didn't escape her.

He swerved around. "Yes, Ms. Chu?"

"This essay Jason. I know you can do better than this. You're my star student. I want you to do better than this,"

He could argue if he wanted. Tell her he didn't care about school. That he didn't want to have anything to do with anyone. That he wanted to stop being such a pain. That he wanted to stop the pain.

But instead, he nodded. "I'll get it rewritten,"

But she wasn't done yet. "Your sister does a lot for you, you know. She gave up everything for you. The least you could do is use the resources she gave you well,"

The words were like knives driven into his heart. But he nodded. "Yes, Ms. Chu,"

He added silently, I'll try not to be a burden I am.

She nodded and he once again made his way out of class.

Everyone had so much faith.

May had faith that they would all be okay.

Uncle Vick seemed to have faith that the past could be forgotten.

Even Mrs Williams had faith that they would get out of their scrape.

His teacher had faith that Jason would become one of the brightest students in the school.

Drake had faith in him too. His dyslexic best friend thought that Jason could have the world if he wanted it.

He rolled his eyes and pushed himself towards the exit.

Not being at eye level with people was so annoying.

Soon enough he saw Drake's afro sashaying his way towards him. "Hey bro,"

"Hey," Jason replied.

"Sister picking you up again?" he asked.

"Probably,"

"You okay?" Drake asked, his brows slightly drawn towards his light, coffee coloured eyes.

Jason wanted to scowl. Of course, he wasn't okay.

No one was okay.

Everyone was doomed. And life sucked. And his stupid legs didn't work.

And maybe he didn't want them to.

Because he was a leech and maybe he deserved it.

But he didn't.

Because he wanted to stop being the leech. "No, but I'll be okay,"

"Want to come over?" Drake asked. "We can play with my new play station,"

If he went home, he'd have to see May in pain.

And he was a burden.

She was better off without him.

He pushed the treacherous thoughts aside. "Let me check with May. If she's okay with it I'll ask her to drop me on her way to her interview."

May was waiting for him at the school gate. As usual.

"Hey,"

May hugged him. "Hi!" she said brightly.

They made their way towards their building, which was a few blocks away from the school. She'd long ago given up pushing him because he hated it. He preferred her at his side, talking-maybe even laughing.

She'd started doing that only recently.

He watched the signs pass by before he remembered Drake's offer.

"May-"

Suddenly May shuddered. Then she righted herself. Jason looked at her more carefully. Had she been taking her pills? "I have an interview at Ronaldi's for a waitressing gig. Will you stay with the Williams?"

She'd forgotten that he rarely forgot.

He hated staying with the Williams. They reminded him of everything he didn't have. Everything he'd lost. Besides. His stupid heart still seemed to do weird flips when he saw Danielle. He didn't want to be reminded of her.

He had to stop liking her, the stupid fool.

Her and those little dimples at her cheeks.

He shook his head.

"Is it okay if I go over to Drake's?" Jason asked. He turned to her when she hadn't replied. "He has this new play station and it has Need for Speed and I-May?"

She'd stopped a few feet away from him. She was breathing hard. "May are you okay?"

He scrambled towards her. If one could scramble with a wheelchair.

And then she dropped listlessly to the pavement.

And all coherent thought flew from Jason's mind.

He had to help her.

The thought came like a typo on a blank sheet of paper.

"Help! Someone help. I-I don't know what to do!"

After a few hours and the help of another mother walking home, as Jason sat next to May's hospital bed, he drilled one, detrimental instruction into his eleven-year-old head.

His sister came first. And she would never be in danger-ever again. He'd make sure of it.

***

Next Update: 8th April 2019