Chapter Three-Court

Chapter Three

Court

*Bucky's POV*

"Make a noise to wake her and you're dead," I swear to Tony as he comes over and he rolls his eyes at me. Still. His steps quiet and I note he sits down like an actual person instead of plopping into the chair like a child.

"I'm still surprised she's taken a shine to you, of all people. It's like how every time we go out all the dogs like Nat. It's like they don't even know she's killed people." He shrugs and looks fondly down at the sleeping girl snuggled in my arms. Honestly, I'm just as shocked as he is. "Mm. You're getting attached." He accuses and I glare at him.

"And you're not? Mr. Pancakes?" I shoot back and he smirks.

"She needed a good meal. Her clothes should be here within the hour too." Tony tells me and I nod a little so as not to disturb her. Suddenly, Steve and Natasha come in and both Tony and I shake our heads at them while pointing to Percy. Steve smirks instantly and Tasha's face softens.

"Shut the fuck up. What's going on?" I threaten Steve and his grin widens, so I aim my question at Natasha. She sits on the coffee table in front of me and looks warmly at Percy's sleeping face.

"Steve managed to get us temporary custody," I sigh in relief, "but we have to go pick up her stuff from the douche's house and go to court tomorrow to fight this out." She tells me softly and gently unfolds a crease at the bottom of Percy's dirty pants. God, how long was she running around the city before she found me?

"She doesn't have to go to court, does she?" I ask, but before I'm even done asking Natasha's eyes tell me the answer is yes. A sigh leaves me. "What're we going to do about that?" My eyes scan the people in the room for ideas.

"We'll stay beside her the whole time and make sure she doesn't even have to look at him. You know that, Buck." Steve assures me.

"I'll wear my suit if she wants." Tony teases but we all fall silent when Percy wiggles a little closer to me and tugs on my arm so it's draped over her more than it already was. Natasha's quick to grab the blanket off the back of the couch and drape it over the two of us with a smirk.

"Let her just worry about sleep for now." She says and relaxes onto the opposite side of the couch while Steve sits in the recliner a little to my left. For once, this group is quiet. My mind goes through what's going to have to happen tomorrow with concern. My arm tightens around her when I think of her having to see this asshole again. This is the kind of situation where being a sniper would come in handy, but I've caused enough trouble for Steve. I'll just have to resist dick punching the guy when I see him. Fuck.

*      *       *      *      *

My eyes are steady on Persephone since Natasha stole her. She was put in charge of dressing her and since dresses and skirts are apparently a no, she's wearing a sky-blue jumpsuit that matches the dress Tasha's wearing. The rest of us, hilariously, are in varying shades of blue button downs. Navy for me, royal for Tony, and turquoise for Steve. Pretty sure this was on purpose, but it made Percy smile so what the hell.

Last night was rough for her. Nightmares every hour, waking up midscream, and all of it achingly familiar to me. She only got some semblance of sleep on my chest, so I stayed with her all night. My sleep suffered somewhat, but that really isn't even on my radar at the moment. We're sitting in court and I'm clenching and unclenching my fists. I forgo my gloves this time. Now that I know Percy isn't afraid of me, I'm free to scare this asshole shitless without worrying about her. Not that I'm not worrying about her.

"Tash," I call and she turns to me, Percy along with her. I gesture to the opening court doors and Natasha suddenly hands Percy to me. She sits in my lap and I make sure to turn her towards Steve instead of the people walking into the courtroom. I spot her piece of shit father in an instant. Blonde, freckles like Percy, red cheeks, big fists, and a big nose I'd like to break.