Chapter 2: Seeing the Town

@harshita250 Thank you for the cover <3 I am in complete & utter awe by how much it captures my character, tysm

Eve

I followed Kate as she walked to the booth, hearing clips of conversations as we passed tables. This place felt so normal, so real. I couldn't remember the last time I came to eat at a "family" place, but that was probably because I only considered my sister family, and we usually ate at home.

"Hey pixie," a boy said as she approached the table. His arms opened, and she sat in his lap, giving a quick kiss on the cheek. I took that as meaning he was her boyfriend. He had short brown hair and light blue eyes, and he looked incredibly tall, something I could tell even while he was sitting. He wore a navy football jacket with the school's logo on the front: a white H over a compass. He and Kate were too focused on each other, seemingly not noticing the second person standing beside the table: me.

I glanced at the second boy sitting at the other end of the table, and mumbled an awkward, "Hello."

He moved his eyes up from his phone to me and immediately shifted the way he was sitting, "Well aren't you gorgeous," he flirted.

I laughed and gestured to the end of the seat, "Could I sit?"

He nodded and moved over, bumping into the third and last boy sitting in the booth.

"Watch it asshat!" The third boy grumbled as he almost dropped his phone in his glass of water. They continued arguing, which I gathered was a regular occurrence for them, and I took that time to observe them.

The boy next to me, the flirt, had curly, blond hair that was cut at his shoulder line. He had chocolate colored eyes and he looked to be shorter than Kate's boyfriend, so probably around my height. He had a warm smile, and seemed to be happy without doing anything. He had on a football jacket the same as Kate's boyfriend.

The last boy was sitting between the two, now staring absentmindedly at the proposal pictures. He had dark brown hair that was tangled and messy like he had been running his hands through it. He looked to be close to the same height as Kate's boyfriend, and his skin was tanned like he had spent plenty of time outside. I could see that his eyes were a dark blue color. He was wearing light jeans and a black t-shirt.

I looked back to Kate and her boyfriend and saw that he was whispering in her ear while she giggled.

"Bleh," the blond next to me gagged when he noticed them, "Get a room."

The couple looked up at that, and red flushed Kate's cheeks, while her boyfriend smiled at her embarrassment. Then he noticed me for the first time and blushed himself for not seeing me before. "I'm James Hazen, Kate's boyfriend," he introduced with an inviting smile.

"Wait, Hazen? As in Hazen University?"

He nodded his head. "My great-great-great grandparents turned their house into the school. The dorms were added on later."

"Does that mean you're rich or something?" I asked curiously.

He and Kate laughed at that. "Hardly. I was cut off about a year ago when I brought home this pixie and said we wanted to pursue music together." Kate began muttering curses at being called 'pixie' but James just kissed her to shut her up.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the blond reach for the boy in the middle's phone, and I quickly smacked his wrist before he started another argument. He turned to me, shock on his face that said 'how the heck did you see that', before shaking the surprise off his face and slowly introducing himself. "I'm Matthew Gilborn, and you're obviously a wizard." I shook my hand with a laugh.