Chapter 4: The Innocence of Pranking

Eve

3 bags of fresh soil. A lock picking kit. A copy of a not-so-legally obtained list of locker combinations. Kyle thought he could prank me and I would just... walk away? He's got another thing coming to him.

♕♕♕

"What do you want?" Drake growled as he swung the door open, shirtless in a pair of sweats. Surprisingly, and for the first time in months, a bare chest wasn't a trigger for me, and I actually felt myself getting flustered like any ordinary girl. Understandably flustered because his chest was beautiful— tanned and muscular.

Also, surprising was the paint on Drake's stomach. Random streaks of different colors lined his skin as if he'd used the area to wipe off his hands or had accidentally swiped a brush across it.

It was 7:30 on a Sunday morning, and instead of sleeping, I was standing at Drake's door. After Kyle's prank, I had immediately started thinking about ways to get him back. I thought up a plan, but I needed help. Drake was, oddly, the first person I thought of.

"I need your help."

"Couldn't it wait until a reasonable hour?" He sighed and rubbed his eyes tiredly. His hand unknowingly spread fresh blue paint on the space below his left eye, so I knew I hadn't woken him up. He'd been up painting.

"What's so bad about mornings? You get to breathe the fresh air, hear the birds chirping..." I exclaimed sarcastically. Most of the time I woke up at noon with a hangover, so I was being quite the hypocrite.

Drake groaned and ran a hand through his hair, making it stick up like a grumpy hedgehog. His staggering blue eyes were hidden by his furrowed eyebrows, huge bags hanging under them. I almost asked why he didn't get any sleep, but figured that was too personal. I wouldn't tell him why I don't get any sleep.

"I'm not a morning person," he stated, a slight growl in his voice. He shifted his body and his sweatpants fell lower on his waist, exposing a tan line.

"I roll out of bed at, at least, ten, drink multiple cups of coffee, then, maybe, go somewhere. Only very, very, important people get a different treatment. Like Obama. Or Angelina Jolie." Except he'd already been awake, and all of this was a lie.

"Well I need your assistance in pranking Kyle," I urged as I ran a hand through my own tangled hair, my eyes trailing down to his naked chest. It was obvious that he worked out regularly by the look of his defined abdomen. His arms were uncovered also and I could see how large his muscles were even without him flexing. Wow, he was gorgeous. I moved my eyes back to his face, trying to respect his body. Drake's eyes seemed to light up when I mentioned Kyle.

"Give me two minutes."

Drake spun quickly and reentered the doorway, but he didn't move fast enough that I didn't see the scars on his back. My heart dropped as I identified what they were: cigarette burns.

Before I even had time to feel upset, Drake came out fully dressed, the paint washed off of his face.

"What're you waiting for? Let's go."

♕♕♕

When I first met Kyle, I noted how pristine he was. Perfect posture, all movements calculated. He had a short fuse, but he tried to hide it. Everyone else on his team seemed to not see any of this, and I had every intention to show them his true colors.

My retaliation involved multiple bags of dirt, the football locker room, and Kyle's personal locker. Drake and I just got back from the store, where we bought the soil. (Drake also repeatedly tried to sneak a box of Cocoa Puffs into the cart "I didn't eat breakfast, thanks to you!" and I ended up buying him the healthiest granola bar I could find. "This food isn't meant for humans; this is animal food.") Now Drake and I just had to wait until it was dark enough to sneak into the school, then into the boys' locker room, then into Kyle's locker.