Chapter 10: Everything Changing, for the Better

Eve

"Jennifer? What the hell are you doing at my school?" I asked, already walking back to the jeep with Drake.

"Did you just call me Jennifer?" She said jokingly, "You sound like Mom."

I scowled as I climbed into the car. "Don't say that. And this isn't funny, what's going on?" I heard her sigh.

"Mom brought some guy in the house for the night. But they didn't make it up to her room and--" Jenny started.

"What does that mean?" I interrupted.

"It means they didn't go up to her room. Jeez, what else could it mean? Anyway, when they walked inside the house, he was disgusted by the mess. You know, her empty bottles and stuff. She got defensive, they fought. Bla bla. That's why they didn't make it up to her room. See what happens when you don't interrupt? Your questions eventually get answered. Anyhow, I tried sneaking down the stairs so I could get to the neighbor's house, the fight wasn't sounding good. But the stupid bottom step!"

"The one that creaks?" I interrupted again, my voice taking on a horrified whisper, I watched goosebumps appear on my arms.

"Yeah. The guy heard, flipped out on me." Her voice cracked, and she paused.  "He hit me Eve."

I froze. Drake looked over at me worriedly, and then stepped on the gas. My right hand clenched around the phone, and my left covered my eyes.

"How bad is it?" I tried to say calmly, but Jenny knew me too well to think I was actually calm.

She sniffled. "I've just got a black eye. But he hit my stomach too, and it started hurting a little bit ago."

"Fuck!" I yelled, kicking the part of the car in front of me. Drake said nothing, but sped up more, breaking the speed limit by at least 20 miles per hour. "Did the bitch do anything to help you?!"  I could practically see Jenny clenching her fist from my cursing.

She whimpered into the phone, making my heart squeeze. "She did nothing! Stood behind him and drank a bottle of vodka." She cried. I felt my eyes water, but dug my fingernails into my skin to fight it.

"That little fuck will pay. I swear I will kill him for ever putting a hand on you!" Drake stopped the car at that, and I realized we were at the school, in the parking lot by my building. Drake and I jumped out of the car and started running.

"I'll be there in 30 seconds," I said, then hung up.

"What's going on?" Drake asked as we raced up the stairs.

"I'm a selfish prick who never should have left her sister alone."

♕♕♕

"Are you telling me, that she hasn't been paying the electricity bill for two months? I've only been gone for three!" I exclaimed, disgusted by my mothers incapacity to do normal human tasks.

Jenny put a finger to her lips and shushed me. "Someone's going to hear you and ask you to leave, then you'll have to go home and sleep," she said, putting emphasis on sleep, since she knew how much I hated it. Sleep was when the nightmares came. I glanced over at the clock by Jenny's bed and saw 2:11 am flashing.

"It's too early to sleep," I joked. Jenny rolled her eyes, but giggled with it.

"We really should be going to sleep soon though. You've got to go to school tomorrow... er, today," she said with a confused expression. I smiled at how childlike she seemed, even at age 15, but that thought turned to a frown.