Chapter 16: It Was A Lie

What I read in the documents terrified me. Worse, it was Noah's life.

The private report crinkled in my hands. My father only had it because he was supposed to be working on the Tomery case. On top laid a WANTED poster printed during the massacre and it displayed a family portrait. Liam, Noah, Rinley, and their parents smiled beneath the claim that deemed them a public safety threat, an enemy of the State. They hadn't killed anyone directly, but rather through their invention tomo, and they were the cause for all the violence. At least, according to Phelps. Victoriously, he also declared two had already been killed: Liam and Noah's mother. 

I shoved the poster beneath my pillow and closed my eyes. The smell of toast, bacon, and pancakes filled my nose. My stomach rumbled. After the night before, I hadn't expected to have an appetite, but I was starving. 

With frustrated resolve, I managed to head downstairs, where Broden played with Falo in the living room. I ignored him as I moved into the kitchen. As Lyn cooked, Argos waited for a piece of food to drop or for Lyn to feed him out of sympathy. He'd probably get both scenarios soon.

I stood in the doorway as Lyn flipped a pancake, her tattoos shining in the morning light. "Your father is downstairs," she said, only glancing up to wink. "So is Noah."

My cheeks burned. Lyn knew.

I lowered my face and left the kitchen, coming to a stop at the top of the basement stairs. My heart pounded at the idea of joining them. Did I even want to? I gripped the railing, heard Broden say something behind me, and then ran down to the basement before Broden saw my blush. If he found out— I shook my head. Broden's questioning was the last thing I wanted. Instead, I left him behind and jumped over the last few steps. Our basement was separated into two rooms, though most of the time only one was visible. Today, though, the left wall was pushed aside to reveal my father's hidden forgery. Creating the forgery was the first thing he had done to the house when we moved in, and he never revealed it to anyone—until now.

Noah's murmurs mixed in with my dad's baritone voice as the two discussed something over weaponry. I could barely hear them through the white wall serving as a door; my dad had soundproofed the structure a long time ago. I had to step closer to the doorway to make out their conversation, but each step closer felt like running for a mile. I was exhausted and not quite sure I wanted to hear everything just yet. But I had to, if not for my sake, then for the sake of my loved ones. As I turned the corner, I came face-to-face with a room filled to the brim with guns and knives. I didn't flinch at the sight. Instead, I fought the urge to peer further inside and reveal myself. With all the strength I had left, I forced myself to hover outside and listen. To spy.

Noah mentioned his younger sister Rinley, the one he wanted to find, and I thought of his family's portrait. She had blonde hair and light-colored eyes. She was practically Noah's twin, unlike Liam. He had been a brunet like their mother.

"Do you honestly think she's alive?" my father asked, and I held my breath.

"Yes." Noah said it as if he had reason to know she was walking around the Topeka Region, but he didn't elaborate.

"How are we going to find her?"

"My family had a plan."

Just when I thought I would learn more, Argos sprinted by and bumped into my legs. I squeaked, and my father leaned out of the room. He saw me, and I froze like prey that had no chance of escape. When Noah looked out, his jaw dropped slightly. "Sophie."

"Hey," I mumbled as I walked inside.

Argos whipped me with his tail. If I didn't know better, I would've thought he had purposely exposed me.