THE END - Book 2 Preview

Thank you for reading TAKE ME TOMORROW, book 1 of the Tomo trilogy. There was a time that I didn't think this book would ever make it back out in the world. Sometimes I still feel like I haven't done enough for those original readers who supported this book way back in 2014. I promise to do my best getting book 2 out. Here's to tomorrow.

~SAT

Took Me Yesterday Preview

I crawled across the floor until I was inches away from the screen. In an old town square—somewhere we'd never know the location of—government officials collected under sage-green tents embroidered with the State's symbol: a single sunflower. In my sixteen years, I hadn't thought much of the symbol. Originally, it was the symbol for Kansas, the location of the Topeka Region—also the capital of the State—and it was seen as patronage to the old country. It wasn't until I met Noah that I realized how much of it was a lie. We weren't even in Kansas. We were somewhere in Missouri. That was all I had managed to learn.

I ignored the sunflower tents leading up to the stage up front, with nothing but a white curtain as a backdrop. Rumor had it that Broden would be shot. The backdrop would highlight it.

"I don't want to watch," Lily said, inching up behind me.

"No one wants to watch it. But we have to. For him."

She didn't argue again, not even when Wheston Phelps himself walked out onto the stage. It'd been a strange life knowing the man, both as my dad's employer, my life dictator, and now, my friend's killer. I still remembered his smile, unusually bright against his weathered skin, but tonight, even in the storm, he looked refreshed. Normally, he looked this way after tea. Mint tea to be exact. I knew too many personal details about him, and not nearly enough about my own country.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the State"—when he spoke, his voice sounded borderline friendly, like that uncle you always looked forward to seeing on the holidays—"we are deeply saddened for all the loss this fine country has seen these past few weeks, but as long as we stand together, we find hope in the gravest of moments. We must even find hope in this young man."

Broden. The white curtains parted, and there he was, dragged by his tied-up hands, a single bag over his head.

Lily grabbed ahold of my hand, and I would've dropped my grasp if she hadn't squeezed my bones together. "Sophia..."

I shushed her to hear the rest of the speech, all the while watching as they forced Broden to his knees. My heart hurt as his heart neared its last beats.

"We restore the life of the State—as well as this young man's life—by standing together today as equals, to face fair punishment under the law of the six regions and the State, the same laws we must uphold to remain free."

"Sophia..."

I shushed her again, over and over, and strained to listen and watch as a sheriff of the State stepped onto the stage, right in front of Broden, right behind Phelps. Broden didn't even struggle, but his head moved from side to side as if he were searching for someone. Me? I wanted to tell him it was okay. I wanted to tell him we'd get him out of there. I wanted to tell him so many things. But I couldn't. I'd never get the chance to.

The sheriff lifted the pistol at the same Phelps raised his voice...

...

I hope you enjoyed this sneak peek. Took Me Yesterday releases November 2, 2019. You can already add it to your to-read shelf too! Just go to my home page. I also have more surprises coming next week! 

Stay tuned,

~SAT