Chapter 22: An Explosion

"Your breakfast is delightful," Noah complemented Lyn, and Lyn blushed for the hundredth time. 

"Thank you," Lyn said as she fed Falo with a plastic spoon. Since he had already tossed it a dozen times, she was forcing him to be spoon-fed. He didn't seem to mind.

"And your ink is fascinating," Noah continued light-heartedly as blood began to boil through my veins. "Everyone from the Albany Region should show off such beautiful pieces of art."

"Stop trying to flatter me, Mr. Tomery." She rolled down her sleeves and turned her complete attention to feeding her son. "Just eat."

Noah laughed for no reason at all before he ate more. Broden sat on the opposite side of the table, diving into the breakfast as if all was forgiven. His stomach had obviously taken over his priorities. Miles ate too, silently, but Lily leaned back, her eyes locked on Noah as if she could shoot him with her irises.

"Don't you have anything to say to my brother, Noah?" Lily asked. Miles' shoulders lifted to his ears.

Noah glanced up from his eggs. Right when I thought he would speak, he picked up his coffee and sipped it. He looked over at a bruised Miles, a boy who wouldn't even glance at him. "Morning."

"Morning," Miles mumbled back.

Lily slammed her silverware down on the table, standing. "What kind of sociopath are you?" She reddened. "Coming in here all doped up on drugs, putting our lives in danger like we mean nothing. Nothing." Her brown eyes darkened against her spray of white hair. "I don't care if they're scared of you, Noah. I'm not. I won't let you treat us like this. You need to leave Topeka." She pointed toward the front door. "Now."

Noah tilted his head; his blond hair shifted. Falo hiccupped. Noah glanced at the toddler before he looked back at Lily with the same look on his face. "Thank you, Lilianne."

I flinched at the fact that he had used her full name. First, it was Lils. Now, it was Lilianne. He could never call people by what they wanted to be acknowledged by.

"For what?" she asked, infuriated.

"For that entertaining monologue you performed," Noah said, pointing his fork at her plate full of pancakes and eggs. "Your breakfast is getting cold."

Lily shook with frustration and cursed at him before she grabbed her plate and left the room, apparently eating elsewhere. Noah lifted his coffee, but not fast enough. Everyone saw his smirk. "At least her appetite isn't ruined," he said before taking a sip.

"You could try to be nicer, you know," Miles said, suddenly relaxed now that his sister was gone. "She has a temper."

Noah chuckled. "I remember."

My stomach bubbled with a feeling I didn't recognize. I wanted to punch him and understand him at the same time.

Noah knew everyone from childhood but me. Even though he was in my house, Noah hadn't entered my world. I had entered his. In reality, I was the intruder. I was an intruder in my own home.

The sound of scraping silverware echoed through the house. Falo squeaked as Lyn played with him, and Lily slammed the front door as she left the house, probably to get air. She wouldn't walk home with the distance between our houses, let alone with all the officers on the streets now. The last thing any of us wanted was to get questioned about our whereabouts. We had a better chance at answering questions if they showed up here. We could hide Noah and pretend we were having brunch.