Chapter 23: I'll Kill You

Lyn's dark eyes fixated on Lily and me in the rearview mirror. "You girls are not going."

She wore a low-cut blouse that exposed an extravagant bridge tattooed on her chest. Between the art and her focused glare, I shifted uncomfortably in the backseat. Miles sat in the passenger seat, but Lily and Broden were in the backseat with me. As usual, we were silent.

Noah, unlike us, spoke, "I told you it would be fine, Lyn." He was laying down in her Jeep's trunk.

"And I told you to be quiet," she responded to Noah's chipper tone. "I shouldn't even be driving you kids—"

"But you are," Lily retorted, surprisingly encouraging the trouble. "If my brother can go, then I should be able to go too."

Lyn frowned. "Dwayne would send me straight back to Albany if he found out I was helping you troublemakers out this much."

"But this was his plan," Miles said, but no one responded.

The only person who knew it was my father's plan was Noah, and we knew enough about Noah to know he could've been lying. Still, we helped him because he was against Phelps, and our hatred for Phelps was our unification. As much as I didn't want to recognize it, we had grown into one another somewhere along the way. We were officially a team.

Broden glared out the window, tightening his fingers into fists as if he were preparing himself for a fight, and Miles looked directly at his wristwatch. We were minutes away from the mission and feet away from the record's building. It was attached to the Traveler's Bureau, which was why Noah needed Miles, but the only access between the buildings had been locked a long time ago. Still, Noah insisted he had a plan.

This so-called plan had been in place since the night Noah overdosed on tomo. Apparently, whomever he got the drugs from was an amateur chemist, and she was essential. Her name was Gigi, and she worked in the Traveler's Bureau as a surveillance specialist. Miles had her supplies in a backpack. Noah had stolen them the night before, which was why Broden and the other boys had an alibi. The crime wasn't on the news.

Our first step was all about Miles. He would enter the Traveler's Bureau with his access code. From there, he would enter the security office where Gigi waited and hand off the backpack. She would leave, and he would unlock the entrance to the record's building by the time Gigi met up with Noah and Broden. From there, they would get Rinley Tomery's record, and Gigi would set up the explosion. They wanted the records to be a distraction, but they also wanted to destroy as much as they possibly could. The boys would get out before the arson would take place. Hopefully, they'd all get out alive. By the way Noah had screamed during his tomo vision, I doubted it, and it took every part of me not to argue.

Lyn would be waiting in the getaway vehicle—her government-issued Jeep—and we would all return to my house before Noah would flee. He was leaving the Topeka Region as soon as he found out his sister's location. We would have to cover his tracks before covering our own.

I wasn't sure how I felt about that.

Lyn maneuvered the Jeep through traffic without so much as glancing around for officers. She was blending in, and she knew how to. I held my breath and forced myself to look as normal as possible in case someone did see us. It was the afternoon. Even behind tinted windows, I somehow felt exposed, and my mind raced with the possibility of getting caught—or killed.

Lily must have sensed my anxiety because she leaned on me, grabbed my hand, and squeezed it. I winced, wondering if she was comforting herself or me. Either way, I was about to vomit, and I closed my eyes as we drove the last mile to the Traveler's Bureau. We had already discussed the risks—the cameras, the daylight, the exposure, the timing. The boys had to get in and out quickly, or we would all get caught. There would be nothing we could do about it. We would be dead. Why Lyn insisted on bringing Lily and I at all was beyond me.