Chapter 11

Lloyd stared at his reflection in the mirror, loosely tucking a dress shirt into a pair of jeans. He ran his fingers through his hair, attempting to make it look nicer as his heart raced. Despite his attempts, the bright blonde locks fell around his face however they pleased, blocking out his eyes. He sighed, dropping his hands.

Luna knocked on the doorframe as she stood in the doorway to get his attention. "Dude, you're literally going to be late to your date. Get out of the house already."

Lloyd chuckled lightly, pushing past her. "Right, I know. Bye Luna."

She rolled her eyes as she watched him leave the house.

Lloyd walked down to Lily's neighborhood, staring at his phone until he found the house. He hesitated, standing in front of it for a few minutes before he gained the courage to knock on the door.

A smile engulfed his face when he saw Lily answer the door. She was wearing a white and blue floral mini dress that stopped above her knee. Her blonde hair was pinned out of her face and Lloyd could see every shade of blue within her endless eyes.

She blinked, a sheepish smile taking over her face, her eyes darting away from him. "Hey, Lloyd..."

He shook his head, forcing himself not to stare at her. "H-hey Lily..."

She stepped off the front step, the door shutting behind her. He took her hand gently, leading her towards the park.

They walked under the shade of the trees, the moon casting a dull silver glow around them.

They stopped for ice cream, talking and laughing as they made their way to the park. Lily felt happier than she had in a very long time, Lloyd bringing out sides of her she had locked away many years prior. He was sweet and he cared about her, cared about her in a way no one had since she was young. Always jumping around, it was hard to meet people and make friends, especially ones who were interested in being with her. She smiled down at her feet, her stomach twisting in excitement.

Lloyd was smiling at her as they walked towards the lake, letting a silence fall over them.

"What was your father like?" Lily asked in a quiet tone after a long pause, lifting her gaze until their eyes met. "If you want to talk about it."

They had reached a secluded trail that led to a little wooden bridge that passed over a small creek. "He was the best dad anyone could ask for. He would take us fishing, take us to the arcade, drive us to school, gave us everything we ever wanted... losing him was the hardest thing that ever happened to me. I can't imagine what my childhood would have been like without him."

A sympathetic smile stretched across her lips. "You're lucky, I wish I had a good father. In a way, I'm lucky I never knew him. I just wish my mom hadn't suffered so much because of him."

They paused in the center of the bridge, leaning over the railing to stare at the gently flowing water. "I'm so sorry Lily, I can't imagine what that must have been like."

She nodded, not looking away from the water even as she felt his gaze rest on her. "Sometimes I wish I had a normal life, but then I remember that everything happens for a reason. Something wants me here, everything that has happened in my life has brought me to this moment. Here, with you."

He couldn't stop the smile that split his lips. "You really think so?"

She nodded again, finally looking at him. "Something in this world wanted me to find you, all of you, I can feel it."

Lloyd stepped closer to her, their arms brushing as they stared back out at the water. "You're pretty amazing, you know."

She sputtered. "Me? No way."

"You are. You've gone through so much, things no child should have to go through, and you're still the sweetest, nicest girl I've ever met."

Her face burned. "You're such a good guy, Lloyd. I'm surprised you'd choose me over every other girl in the grade."

"Why are you surprised? I just told you why. I like you. You're sweet, you're gentle, and you understand what I've been through," his tone was gentle, the words carefully chosen as he turned to look at her again. "Not to mention that you're the prettiest girl I've ever seen."

She giggled, lifting her hand to cover her mouth as her eyes crinkled. "Don't lie to me, Lloyd Vis."

"I could never do that."

Her smile dropped as she looked away again. "I'm sure you could if you tried. Everyone else does."

"Lily..."

"Sorry," the word was quiet and hung between them with the weight of her past.

"I'll never lie to you, Lily. I promise. I just want to be sure you know that I care about you."

The corners of her lips turned up again. "I care about you too."

"I know I'll never truly understand everything you've been through, but I hope I can distract you from it once in a while," his voice dropped into a light whisper. "I'd give anything to see you smile like that. Not forced, not because someone else wants to see it. But because you're truly happy."

Her cheeks burned as their eyes met, a dust of dark pink under his freckles.

Her eyes were bright, filled with a light that had been very dim when they first met. He wouldn't let himself believe that his few words could make her light up the way she did, but he hoped he had helped. The smile in her eyes and on her lips was worth everything to him. His heart burned in a way he never felt before.

She felt suddenly drawn to him, in a way she never had before. She didn't really understand why. It was like there was an aura around him, telling her to draw more near. She wouldn't fight it, since it was drawing her to the person she wanted to be closest too. She was almost certain he was being drawn to her too. The feeling hung in the air between them, frustratingly heavy as neither stepped closer.

Finally Lloyd broke the silence. "C'mon, let's keep going."

She slipped her hand into his, locking their fingers together. "Let's go."