Chapter 68

Sylvia stopped and turned to Harper, grabbing her wrist. Her face was bright red, and Harper looked surprised at the action. Harper felt a blush creep onto her cheeks as she stared at Sylvia. Her icy blue eyes held a look of hope and something Harper couldn't quite place.

Sylvia stared back into Harper's eyes, the turquoise irises changing color in the changing lighting. She reached up to cup her cheek, and Harper let her. Sylvia stood on her toes to reach Harper's lips, pressing her own against them. Harper's hands found her waist, pulling her closer.

It ended all too soon as the gunshots around them brought them back into reality. Harper was almost the color of her hair as she turned away from Sylvia. Sylvia was starting to hyperventilate, a huge grin plastered to her face. Harper looked down at her feet smiling happily. She looked back at Sylvia, their gazes meeting again. "Be safe, please. I'll see you on the other side," Harper smiled gently at her, the corners of her lips drooping down.

Sylvia nodded, returning the sad smile. "I promise."

Harper turned away, leaving Sylvia gasping for air, trying to wrap her mind around what had just transpired.

Harper giggled giddily, wrapping her arms around herself in excitement as she turned back to the action.

☆★☆

Luna dragged herself as far as she could, the blood from her gash spilling across the rocks that tore into her skin, creating more bleeding gashes across her body. She dragged herself to a standing position using an overturned van, and immediately felt dizzy. She began to lose her balance as the world turned fuzzy.

Trae ran out onto the field as fast as he could, tripping over his own feet and dodging a stray bullet to get to her. He couldn't let her get any more hurt. He wouldn't let anything else happen to her. She was the most important thing in the world.

He managed to catch her just before she fell. He propped her up against his arm brushing the hair from her face and attempting to fan some air to her. She was slipping in and out of consciousness in his arms, fighting to keep her eyes open.

She took a deep breath, realizing who it was that had saved her. He wasn't supposed to be there anymore... she thought he had left...

"Tr-Trae..." she whispered as her eyes fluttered open and closed.

"I'm here, Luna, I'm here."

"Trae—I-I love you..." She slipped out of consciousness again.

He balanced her in his arms, her head pressed against his chest. Her eyes opened again after a moment.

"You have to get out of here," she tried again, half-conscious and trying to push him away. Her lack of energy only caused them both to stumble.

"Luna..." he tried gently, brushing more hair from her face. "I'm here," he whispered as he dragged her off the bloody field. The others were gone, to where, Luna didn't know. Darkness started to make its way into her vision, and soon enough everything was fully dark.

Trae picked her up, making sure she rested comfortably in his arms as he carried her behind a toppled van away from the action. "Luna... Luna..." Trae whispered as he patted her cheek repeatedly and shook her slightly. "You've got to get up... Luna please, I love you, please wake up..."

Her eyes opened again slowly, but when they did, they widened in shock. She was back. He helped her sit up as she caught her breath. She coughed a few times, blood splattering against his shirt.

He helped her into a standing position, with her leaning heavily against his chest as her knees shook and her head slumped.

"Trae! What are you doing here?!" Luna's heart started to pound when she saw his face contort with fear.