Chapter 12

They stopped in front of her house, the silence flimsy as it stretched between them. Lily's smile was wide and reached her eyes for the first time since Lloyd had met her. His heart fluttered.

"Maybe next time we can go ice-skating," he said, studying her expressions.

"You want to take me ice-skating too?" Lily asked, a half suppressed incredulous look on her face.

"Yeah, I think it'll be fun."

"I don't know..." She looked away from him, her smile dropping.

"Why not?" He asked gently, his own smile sinking. "Was it me?"

"No Lloyd, it's not you, I just..."

"It's alright, you don't have to explain."

Lily smiled weakly. "It's not you, I promise, I just..." she paused, turning away from him. "I care about you, Lloyd, and every person I've ever cared about is gone."

"Oh..." He looked down at his feet.

"That, and I don't know how to skate." She sighed, turning back to face him.

"I could teach you if you like," he paused. "If you'll consider a second date?" He dragged out the question, studying her face carefully.

The corners of her lips lifted. "Okay," she responded, her tone soft. She pressed a kiss to his cheek, lifting up onto her toes. "Thanks for all this, Lloyd. Tonight was amazing."

"Oh, of-of course!" He stammered. "Anything for you."

Her smile widened. She walked into the house, turning her back to him, shutting the door behind her with a small wave, leaving him alone outside.

He let out a breath of relief, a smile taking up his entire face. It took all his willpower not to start dancing to his own happiness right then and there. He walked with a spring in his step, his thoughts drifting to every moment he spent with Lily. Every word they exchanged paraded back through his head. He snaked through the neighborhood, head in the clouds and feet on the ground, trying to still his racing heart. He memorized the path he took to get to her house, hopeful he would come to see her again.

As he started to walk back from where they had come, he heard the sound of breaking glass. Ice crawled through his veins as the joy he felt evaporated into fear. It hadn't been the sound of a shattered bottle or a cracking window, but a glass storefront being splintered by a crowbar. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw an alleyway filled with a group of men in dark clothes. His stomach turned over a few times, his hands growing numb as he clenched them.

He caught a glimpse of a logo on a band around the arm of one of the men's jackets. A skull disintegrating into a pile of white sand, with a single burning eye. White Sand... The name reverberated through his head until it connected with a rush of memories. The White Sand. Domestic terrorism. His heart stopped. The White Sand were known for their violent opposition to the government—even the good parts, shootings, vandalisms, and kidnappings, then disappearing into the night. The White Sand was bad.

He slowed his pace as he reached the origin of the sound, his heart all but stopping at the sight. Glass covered the street, some of it coated in running blood, shops robbed and spray painted with the logo as far as he could see down the road. Lloyd heard screams, watching men in black uniforms and masks standing around with various weapons. Children being grabbed and dragged away, shop owners being beaten.

Lloyd did the only thing he could do in that moment. He ran down another street, the sounds of shouting and police sirens seeming to chase after him. Loud footsteps following him until he hit grass and the sound diminished. He didn't stop until he knew he was thoroughly lost, as far from the street as possible.

He ran until his lungs burned and his legs wouldn't move him anymore. He slumped down against a tree, pulling out his phone with shaking hands and dialing the first number he could think of other than his mom—he knew she was still at work.

"Trae?" He asked, his breathing heavy.

"Yeah man?"

"I need you to come get me."

Trae winced. "Is it really going that bad?" He laughed.

"This isn't a joke," Lloyd said harshly, moving the phone away from his ear so he could cough. "I'm serious. The White Sand is here."

"Oh, uh," Trae's playful tone dropped. "I'll be there as soon as I can."

Lloyd dropped the phone is the call ended, taking in heaving breaths until he could steady himself. His head felt too light and his throat burned. He fought to keep himself from passing out, staying in the dark beneath the tree until a familiar green SUV pulled up in front of him.