28.Few bits here and there

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

Just when I thought things were running smooth,the whole universe decides to give me a reality check.I wasn't sure if Anika could handle all the stuff but I guess she wouldn't let herself in my life if I didn't make the first move.

I walked back to my apartment after a whole one hour-fifty minutes ride and the traffic was sickening as hell.There,she was walking to and fro,outside my door.Anxiety was clearly etched all over her face and I was the one to be blamed.Once she saw me walking towards her,a subtle smile appeared across her face.

"I am sorry,I didn't intend to do this behind your back-"

"Let's talk inside." I cut her off and she meekly nodded,following me inside.I locked the door and she sat on the sofa fidgeting with her watch.

"What did Riddhi tell you?" I asked her in a monotonous tone.I sat on the table at the center,facing her.

"Not much-" she offered and obviously nervous.

"Anika?" I insisted.

"She said you feel responsible for a mistake that was never yours and you turned into an alcoholic just to escape your past."

"Is that all?" I asked her.

"Yes." 

We sat there in silence.She was staring at her feet and I was indulged in my thoughts.

"Is it necessary for you to know my past?" I asked.I wish we could carry on and not ponder over my past,but who was I kidding,I-myself hadn't got over it and I can't expect her to do so either.

She gasped and stared at me in disbelief."What?Shivaay you promised to tell me."She retorted.I could sense her anger in her sudden change of mood.

"I know,I did promise.But aren't promises meant to be broken?"I quizzed.

"What are you even speaking?"she yelped,raising both her hands in air out of frustration.

"Why can't we move on like any other normal couple?Why is it so necessary for you to know my past?It is my 'past' for a reason.Aren't bygones just bygones?"I poured my insecurities out.

She gawked at me in horror.She didn't reply instantly instead she sat their numb.

"Look,it's not as easy as you think.It isn't a trivial matter that we can discuss over a cup of coffee and get over with.I wake up every morning and decide to tell you all about it but somewhere along the line,I lose the courage to even think about it."

"It's definitely not easy for you but it's all so easy for me,isn't it?"She asked,sarcastically.

When I didn't reply,she continued,"The more I wait for you to tell me,the more I get the feeling that you will never-ever tell me about it.Am I right Shivaay?"She asked with a quivering edge to her voice.

"Probably not,"I answered and my shoulders shrunk with mental exhaustion.

"You do know,that your past is a key to our relationship.I can't turn a blind eye and act as if everything is normal.We are not a normal couple, Shivaay.A basic foundation to any relationship is trust and we can't have that when you choose to hide your secrets from me."She said.