A Little Fun

A/N - James Dashner is the creator of these amazing characters and ideas, not I... though I wish my brain was that talented at life. I have however managed to scrape together Autumn. *bows*

I walked with Newt and Minho, (who's arm was no longer around me) towards Frypan's kitchen, (which I had come to learn that he was very territorial about). I looked around the Glade, fully taking it in. I had been rushed everywhere, inside buildings, or just plain not paying attention ever since I got here, so I hadn't really had a chance to take a good look at this place.

I saw that the Glade had four massive walls that formed a square around the greenspace, it also seemed to be split into four sections: Gardens, Homestead, Bloodhouse and Deadheads (I remembered from Minho's tour). The Box, the place that the normal newbie's arrive in was in the middle of the Glade, there also seemed to be a lot of open green-space. I looked at the sky seeing that it had darkened slightly, craning my head around I looked for the sun...it wasn't there!

I interrupted the conversation Minho and Newt were having, "There's no sun here?"

The two paused what they were doing before turning to look at me. It was Newt who answered. "You know I almost forgot you a were a greenbean for a moment there newbie," the corners of his mouth turned upwards to create a smile. "No one really knows why there is no sun here, never rains either though.We don't really have a very...creative climate in the Maze."

"Oh," I said. My eyes shifted the the ground below my feet, "But has no one really wondered why there's no sun?" They both just shook their heads. We were approaching Frypan's kitchen and I felt all the eyes of the other Gladers turn towards me. I could feel them all staring straight at me like they've never seen a girl before. Come to think of it...maybe they hadn't. I mean I had no idea how long these other boys had been in here for. I shuddered at the thought and wrapped my arms around my chest as I walked into the area with all the tables.

I hadn't actually been anywhere with all the Gladers yet, I mean I had already met about half in the Gathering, but I just wasn't expecting this much gawking. A loud whistle sounded from somewhere within the cluster of boys. I spun my head around so fast I was surprised that I had managed not to give myself whiplash. I sent daggers flying into the crowd and some of the boys quieted down, but others smirks just grew wider.

"Rawr!" one of the boys yelled.

"I call dibs!" another one said.

"A girl, what?"

"Shut your holes!"

That quieted all the remarks immediately. I looked around to see that it was Alby who had spoken. I smiled at him and turned to see an awkward looking Minho and a very angry Newt, who was also glaring at the group.

"Any of you shanks touch the girl and your sorry butt will be banished! Am I clear?" Alby stood up and yelled into the group of boys. Mutters of 'yes and good that' where heard in response. Good that? I wondered to myself. Why do they have so many weird words here? English is nice, I like English... I found myself being pulled - courtesy of Newt - over to where Frypan was serving everybody sandwiches.

"Come on greenbean, you don't want to starve do you?" he asked as I moved to stand in line behind him, but he stepped behind me. I raised my eyebrow at him, but didn't say anything. I thanked Frypan for the sandwich and then followed Minho over to where Alby was sitting with a few other guys that I had seen at the gathering, but didn't know yet.

I sat down next to Minho. I was so obviously out of place at this table, this table was full of...what did they call it, oh yes; Keepers. In other words important people, I was not an important person, I was the odd one out, the newbie...the greenie.

So it was to my surprise when Alby spoke to me, "So Greenie you think you can handle being a Runner?" he asked with a smile on his face. He was also leaning slightly forward to create a more intense mood.

"More than you could," I retorted. "After all who was it that escaped a griever on their first day? Oh right...me." I leaned in closer on the table so that we weren't uncomfortably close, but he was about to burst my personal bubble. He let out a laugh and sank back into his seat, "Minho you win, she can be a Runner." I let out a breath of air that I didn't even know I was holding. I felt as though I had just proved myself, if Alby thought I was good enough to be a Runner then I was bloody brilliant! Wait! Did I just think that? Newt you're infecting my mind!

Newt was also infecting her personal bubble, but she didn't really mind. He had brought his sandwich over and sat down next to me, colliding (unnecessarily) into my side before straightening himself up again. I didn't notice but Minho had leaned behind me and mouthed the word "flirt" to Newt.

"You still gotta give all the jobs a go, cause the slinthead Gally would probably klunk himself if I didn't make you. But the jobs all yours." Alby said finalizing the deal. The job was done. I got to be a runner.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A while later when everyone was finished eating I asked a question that honestly blew apart my sad little mind.

"So what do you guys do here for fun?" I asked the general audience that was my table. Everyone's gaze shifted to the table and finally Minho answered.

"Uh, well not really anything. "

"WHAT?" I yelled back slamming my fists into the haphazardly nailed together wood.

"Well there's always work and then everyone just goes to sleep," Newt offered up.

"You disgrace me. The whole lot of you." I said putting a hand up to the side and turning my head away from them. "No Fun? How do you survive? No wonder this one's always got a frown on his face." I remarked, poking my finger into Newt's cheek.

"What? I'm not frowning greenbean."

"Yes you are, shuckface," there was a moments hesitation before I used their word. Evidently the "moment" was more than just a moment because suddenly everyone burst into laughter.

"Not good?" I asked with a grin.

"Really - not - good," Minho responded in between gasps of air. Everyone at our table was laughing: Alby, Newt, Minho, me, Zart and Clint. The last two I had just met. Newt was leaning against me as he laughed and I couldn't help but let a smile creep across my face.

"See fun," I stated. I got up quickly from the bench which lead to Newt falling off the bench and everyone to laugh even harder.

"Do you guys have like extra wood that's no good anymore?" I asked. I had had an idea, and a brilliant one at that.

"Yeah, why?" Alby responded. He was looking very confused and mildly disturbed. Gosh, what did he think I wanted to do?

"We should have a campfire!"

A/N - So this chapter continues into the next one with like the campfire scene from the movie because that scene was perfection and yeah... woohoo for strange incorporation of the movie *fist pump*