F O U R T E E N

"CLAIRE JENSEN, WHAT DO I OWE for this visit?" Montgomery De La Cruz asked, flashing a bright smile at the Jensen girl.

"I-" Claire began and sat down at his lunch table across from him, "I want to hang out, just the two of us" Claire said with a smile, rubbing the boys arm.

"And why's that?"

"You're- fun!" Claire laughed and looked down, "how about we skip lunch and go out?" Claire asked looking over at Scott who was just walking in.

Monty chuckled dryly and looked over at Scott Reed, "Scotty boy wouldn't have a problem with this, right?"

"I don't care what Scott says or thinks about anymore," Claire said with a smile and grabbed her bag, "let's do something fun. Let's ditch the rest of school"

"I've got a place" Montgomery said with a smirk and lead the girl out to his car.

"So- where are we going?" Claire asked while buckling her seatbelt.

"My house, of corse"

"monty-"

"just for fun, i promise" he said and began driving.

butterflies abrupt in Claire's stomach as she stared out the window. without much though, Montgomery looked over the girl, noticing the tears falling from her eyes.

"Claire?" he asked softly, "we don't have-"

"what?" the girl questioned.

"you- you're crying," he said almost like it was obvious.

"oh?" she questioned wiping her tears away, "sorry, i didn't notice" she chuckled softly.

monty pulled over his car and parked it on the side of the road, "want to talk about it, instead?" he asked looking at the smaller girl.

Claire began to sob looking up at Montgomery, "i don't know what's wrong with me," she said looked down at her hands, "am i suppose to be this angry at Bryce? why am i not mad at myself for letti-"

"it wasn't your fault," the boy said and looked down at his steering wheel, "if anything it's all our faults- but yours. we should've protected you," monty said gripping the steering wheel.

"i was stu-"

"he forced you Claire, it's not really like you guys haven't done it before" Monty said sadly and looked over at the girl.

"Bryce and I have never had se-"

"Claire, you don't have to keep lying to yourself about it. We all know," Monty said and sighed.

"no, that's not possible. what happened? i don't remember it,"

"yes-"

"that night in the clubhouse- he said 'it's better than the first time'. what does that even mean?"

"do you- not remember?" Monty asked as his face hardened at the sight of the girl shaking her head.

"i don't," she whispered looking down.

"maybe we should call Clay," monty said pulling out his phone.

"no just tell me," claire pleaded, tears clouded her eyes.

"fine" he huffed and grabbed her hands, "are you sure your ready to hear this?"

"more than ready," she said confidently.

"Claire, it all happened the night of the homecoming dance-"