Chapter 1: Silent Stranger

The day ran fast when Mr. Bingley's note arrived that he would not be able to come for he had to go to London, much to Adele's relief for she doesn't like to get dressed and much to Mrs. Bennet's distress for she was too excited for the event.

Mr. Bennet found his eldest in his sanctuary and smiled at her. She was too busy in the ledgers and discussion with Sattler to notice his arrival. The steward stood to depart and so did she. It was when Mr. Bennet came to her notice and was rewarded with her sweetest smile which was always reserved for him.

"Should I hold a special dinner for tonight as your mother's nerves are distressed and you so very relieved that you're smiling, eh?"

"That would end my happiness as I would have to wear that corset and some very itchy dress as your wife would settle for no less. Sometimes I think what brute of a man can create such things as corsets only to please his eyes with fine curves."

"And why would the one be a man?"

"A woman cannot be so torturous to her own sex."

"She might like to be all slender and curvy."

"He might not like women to breath free."

"She might like to please his man or catch one."

"He might not like the idea of women without curves and want to restrict them."

Mr. Bennet smirked for she was too witty to prevail upon. He knew not one man that deserved her and cannot give her away to someone - if deserving- at such young age as hers.

"Can I persuade you for a walk, sir? Maybe till the lake and back?"

"Only if you promise to debate with me on Shakespeare's work?"

Adele happily agreed and they went to the Lake. She debated with him about Shakespeare and they even completed talking about the economies of the world. Though on reaching the lake, Adele looked too distant to say anything. She was deep in thought while watching the shallow water. Mr. Bennet sighed as he knew very well what the matter could be.

"Stop thinking about the event or else you would never be happy," he commented softly.

"Happiness is not my pursuit," her voice hollow, "I just need to be where I am. I have climbed much and any more greed of height would only risk my fall."

Mr. Bennet had no idea how to lift her spirits and sighed looking at the glittering pond.

"Papa, do you remember? Whenever mama used to be cross with me, I used to run away from home and you all were never able to find me until I came back myself." He nodded. "I always used to come to this lake and climb the oldest and largest tree and hide in the shade, I always brought a book with me and finished the book before coming back. Jane would hug me while Elizabeth laughed at how you all were worrying about me like you had to give your estate away as a Ransom. Mother only muttered 'impish, Stubborn girl' and you used to wink at me and kiss my cheek lovingly while saying, 'I missed you'."

He smiled as a rush of nostalgia-filled him to the brim. Only Adele and Elizabeth were grown by him and Jane and Mary to some point too. Adele used to mimic him and even sat with his bookkeeper to learn. The old man at that time, the late Mr. Holt, used to teach her lovingly. Even the stern bookkeeper had a soft spot for her, she was a daughter to the old bachelor. After his death, she refused to give his place to any other and made it to herself instead.

Elizabeth was a rather free spirit and idle like himself. She would talk to him for hours though he still did not admit that in corner of his heart, he knew that Adele was a better companion than Elizabeth. Though Mary was always a quiet girl and got much bullied by the two youngest daughters of his, she only opened up to Adele and that too in confinements of her own room or the library when he had an errand to run elsewhere. After Adele went to live with Mr. Gardiner, Mary became even more aloof and lived only with her pianoforte.

Jane was always a darling, raised partially by Adele too. She was always the proper lady. Adele had always sprinkled her own goodness in her along with the qualities that came naturally.

Soon, his reverie was broken by Adele and they went back to the house.

_____

The next day found all the female Bennets in the assembly. There was a huge crowd, much to Adele's chagrin and the two youngest Bennets saw the opportunity to dance even more.

Adele sat at an isolated corner with Mary while Elizabeth and Jane sat with Charlotte and Lydia flirted with half the men with Kitty on her heels. Adele blushed for the sake of her family while Mary asked if they could join Elizabeth and Jane.

Adele obliged her and sat between Jane and Mary. She regretted soon afterward when men came to her to reserve the dances of the evening.

Suddenly, there was silence prevailing over the hall and Adele noticed Mr. Bingley entering with 2 men and 2 women.

The gossip flew that the pompous ladies were his sisters and the man shorter than the other was Mr. Hurst, the husband of the eldest. Within 5 minutes, the other man was talked about as Mr. Darcy of Pemberley in Derbyshire with 10 thousand pounds a year. Adele stiffened in the memory of a certain gentleman from Derbyshire who ruined her life.

Mr. Bingley was quick to spot her and smiled at her while he crossed the room. Adele smiled back while he came to her and courtesied

His eyes fluttered from her to someone beside her and filled with naked admiration for Jane. His steps tumbled before he composed himself. Adele raised a knowing brow as Jane blushed crimson. His whole party was after him and was introduced to herself and her family.

"I apologize Mr. Bingley for my father could not come."

Mr. Bingley just smiled and introduced herself to his friend.

"Ah! Darcy this is Ms. Adele Bennet, the eldest Bennet sister and the only sister I had the pleasure of meeting."

Darcy gave her a curt bow. He thought he had seen someone who resembled her, but who?

"Ms. Bennet," asked Mr. Bingley, "would you like to dance the first set with me?"

"I decline, sir," answered she with all politeness she could muster, "for I am not a good dancer, to be sure. Though, I think our dear friend Charlotte Lucas would love to give you the honor. she dances splendidly."

Bingley obliged her request and she smiled at Charlotte who was all red due to the honor she got. Elizabeth and Jane were too called to dance and even the Hurst couple danced the first set. A man even asked for a dance with Caroline. Thus, she was obliged to stand with Darcy and Mary. The latter of whom excused herself to the corner of the room.

"I am sorry for my impertinence, Mr. Darcy, but don't you enjoy dancing?"

"I do not dance with somebody I have never met before."

"Then, sir, you are fortunate that it is I who inquired about it and not my third eldest sister for she would think you quite odious."

Mr. Darcy could hardly contain a smile at this point and she was rewarded with the smallest hint of an upward curve at the ends of his mouth.

The next silence gave her the time to examine his features. He was even taller than her, for she was eight inches more than 5 feet, and had broad shoulders. His skin had a good hue of gold and the clearest blue eyes she had ever seen. His jaw was sharp and nose a little lifted, giving him a proud air and he looked even more handsome, if possible, with the lightest of stubble over his cheek and chin. She blushed crimson as she realized she was staring at him, though no one seemed to notice.

Soon, the first dance was over and Charlotte dragged her away from Darcy.