Chapter 12: The Language of Flowers

The next day came as slowly as faster Adele could have liked. She compensated for her leave the day before and took a tour of the tenants. Most were kind to her, though it may be because of the fact that she is their owner's daughter. Nevertheless, she always thought it to because they thought her to be their own family. She used to play with the children whenever she could and talk to the wives.

She was satisfied with everything and everyone, so she made her way back to Longbourn main house. She was humming to herself and closed her eyes to let her other senses work. She could hear the chirping birds and feel cold breeze blowing on her face. Her hands were tenderly touching the petals of flowers she had planted. They contained all the types of roses and chrysanthemums she could sow with lilies, sunflowers and carnations.

She frowned as she felt another presence behind her, though when she turned there was no one. She blamed herself for losing herself to her fantasies. She turned back and did the same things. She was again sensing the presence, though she was too confident that it was just her mind playing little games.

"Good morning, Miss Bennet," a baritone whisper rang in her ears, making her gasp in astonishment.

She turned quickly and found no one. There was no one as she looked around and she felt scared. She dreamt of Darcy whispering greetings before, though, never was the fantasies felt so realistic. Apparently, she was dreaming due to exhaustion.

She gulped in awe and hurried inside the house. She was about to run to her bedchamber, however, Mrs. Hills interrupted her. Mr. Bingley and his pompous sisters came to call upon them. Mrs Hill was told to summon the two sisters next to her, which took hardly anytime. Mr Bingley stood up like a true gentleman and bowed. Adele courtesied and the two sisters followed. Ms Bingley and Mrs Hurst too followed the expression. The whole family was already there.

"Mr Bingley," said Adele, "it is a delight to see you again. So, to what concern do we owe your presence?"

"Miss Adele, I do not think that there necessarily be a reason for me to meet you, my dear sister by heart that is, nevertheless, this time there is a reason. Not a concern, I assure you."

"So, dear brother, what can that be?"

"We are here with an invitation to the Netherfield Ball for the next Tuesday."

Mrs Bennet, Lydia and Kitty squealed in delight while Mary, Mr Bennet and Adele wanted to whine. Do not ask for the other two, they were somewhere in the middle. Mr Bingley was smiling knowingly while his sisters did not bother to disguise their disgust.

Soon, all were seated and Adele took the pleasure to sit beside her said brother while Jane sat across them with the other sisters. The seats down and up were taken by the others.

Caroline and Louisa talked to Jane while completely ignoring the other, except for Elizabeth, who became their prey on some occasions.

"Miss Bennet," Bingley whispered discretely, when he was sure that no one had their attention on him, "I have a message for you from our dear friend, Darcy."

Adele was nothing but astonished at the information. They had promised to meet the day after and Darcy had not come with the others. Truth be told, Adele felt a rush of disappointment when she was not informed of Darcy's arrival and the little hope that remained shattered as she entered the parlor.

"I am all astonishment, sir, what could the matter be?"

"He sent you a box which would be given to you discretely," he smiled kindly, "he wanted to make ammends for the time he had lost with you."

"How much do you know about us, Mr Bingley?" She smiled softly and gratefully.

"He told me that you are his first and best friend. I know nothing more and nothing less. However, call my mind a little too curious, I wish to know what happened that you two lost connections."