Chapter 15: Netherfield Ball

Why was he here with a red carnation?

She knew the meaning of the red flower quite nicely and to know that her Fitzwilliam had involved himself romantically with someone, or wanted to, doesn't sit well with her heart. She had known him over a decade and loved him for equally long time. However, she knew his nativity regarding the meaning of each flowers and could not be sure about the intentions. All the same, she had her scruples regarding his attachment with a lady of the county.

She made her way towards Longbourn house with these thoughts. The bustle was almost choking as she felt rather than saw her way to study, where Mr. Bennet and Mr. Collins sat and talked. Well, only Mr. Collins talked and her father bore his boredom and almost insanity with grace. Nonetheless, she had no pity for him.

"Mr. Collins," she interrupted, "may I have a moment alone with my father?"

Mr. Collins stood up, bowed and scurried out of the room to give them some privacy. Mr. Bennet sighed in relief and smiled at her, however, her countenance expressed hesitation and he frowned.

"Father," she said, "may I have some money?"

"For?"

"I thought I would make myself a dress or would make a few changes with any of my older dresses, for the ball."

Adele never asked for pin money. If she ever needed some- normally for some papers or quills or books- she asked him and he obliged immediately.

He frowned, she never asked money for dresses or fripperies. She was certainly not that kind of lady. If ever her dresses needed mending, she took the leftovers of her mother and sisters, however, never spent money on them.

"Why, my dear?"

She blushed and looked down. "I want to look beautiful," she whispered.

His frown soothed, "my dear, who said you are not beautiful already?"

"No, I meant to say that I want to dress beautifully for the ball. Miss Bingley always looks down upon me and her disdain erks me greatly. I just want to tell her that I can look and dress just as prettily as a woman of her station. Besides..."

There was a pause. Adele certainly did not want to add the 'besides'. She was to say, 'I want to dress for Fitzwilliam'. She stopped herself just at the right moment but Mr. Bennet, being her father, knew that something else was the matter too.

"Besides," he urged her to say.

"Mr. Darcy asked me for the first two dances," she replied hastily. He raised his brow and she felt the pressure. She sighed in defeat and sat on the chair.

"I love him, father," she admitted quietly. He gasped. Adele in love was just as eventful as Lydia reading sermons.

"But he insulted you," he accused.

"I am in love with him since much prior to the evening," she confessed, "Remember Lady Marshall's neighbor, the one with a son and daughter."

He nodded.

"He is the son," she continued and he let his mouth fall open.

"Why didn't you tell me, Adele?"

She had tears in her eyes, "I thought I forgot about him," she replied with a teary smile, "I was wrong. One evening in his presence and everything came undone. All those nights I told myself that he is no one to me, they all became lies just the moment he came in my line of eyes. I love him, father, more than I ever had loved anyone."

He chuckled, "and you want to dress for him?" He tried to lighten the atmosphere as it became too much to bear.

"Yes," she giggled, "and for that evening, I will try to enjoy like a woman, and not sulk in a corner."

He laughed and gave her the money, she kissed his cheek and walked to her boudoir in front of her almirah, searching for the right dress to alter and found none. She needed to make a new dress in a week.
_______

A new dress was made within four days, altered and decorated according to her size and taste. The Netherfield Ball came early than anticipated and the bustle in Bennet household increased. Every lady was busy altering their dresses and dreaming about a man she would like dance with. Mr. Bennet, as always, found his library, a bower, and did not make any attempt to abandon it. Mr. Collins tried to talk to every member but failed. Only Adele proved to be his confidante, however, she too sew while listening to what he had to say.

On the evening of the ball, everything was on the perfect place. Adele enjoyed a long bath with oils and potions to soften and smell. She made her own hair. It was french braided from top to middle and then made into a complex chignon. She, with all chagrin, tied her corset tight and Mrs. Hill helped her into the beauty she called a gown. Her dress was tight on her chest, showing only decent amount of bossom and then it flowed. The low bateau neckline and petal sleeves made in look almost royal and the beautiful pale purple dress cloth that she had bargained enhanced her eyes and brought character to them. She looked angelic.

Mrs. Hill pinched her cheeks to reddened them, however, it was unnecessary. Her cheeks had a permanent red in them and her lips pinkish. She smiled at herself in the mirror, she looked good. She made her way downstairs and as the eyes seeked her, the room quietened for a moment. She looked up to find every eyes on her. No-one knew that she had been making a dress, no one but Mr. Bennet.

There were expressions of appreciation from her father, Jane, Lizzie and Mary. Her mother, Kitty and Mr. Collins looked more stunned and Lydia looked green with jealousy.

"Oh, Ady, you look angelic," Jane remarked and the evening started with her being compliment all the way to Netherfield.
_____________

He felt agitated as each moment passed and she wouldn't come. He was very anxious and his anxiety was not lost upon Bingley. Bingley tried everything to calm him, however, he was too an agitated lover. Darcy settled himself nearer to the door, but not enough to be noticed, while the Bingleys greeted the guests. Each rustle of the gowns made him look up to see if she was there. Time ticked near to the start of the ball and he was losing hope.

Just then, his ears caught the sound of Mrs. Bennet's over enthusiastic high pitched voice and he looked up.

"Mr. Bingley," she said in her over energy as Mr. Bennet silently greeted the hosts, "it is so lovely an evening for a ball and such a grand ball you have arranged..."

She went on and on until Bingley interrupted her by asking about her four eldest daughters. She looked back and said, "oh, they must be coming. Mary wanted a moment. Well, they all beautiful today and Jane, like always, looks prettier than before, while I must say that Adele too had put effort for the evening, even though she couldn't be as beautiful as Jane."

Darcy's patience was thinning like a thread that was being tested and he couldn't sit still for another moment.
__________

Adele consoled Mary about the evening as they went through the doors to the Ball room. She hadn't missed the stares she was getting in the way and not for the first time regretted placing efforts to make herself look as beautiful as she could get.

As she looked up, she was greeted with Mr. Bingley's smile and Miss Bingley's green jealous glare. She wanted to smirk but contained herself. Mr. Bingley already looked taken by Jane and that left Caroline for the greetings. She curtesied and then greeted her and did the same for her brother.

"Mr. Bingley," she said with a nod, "how delightful to see you."

"Pleasure is all mine. You look beautiful, Miss Bennet."

She thanked him and proceeded into the room. Her eyes immediately wandered just as immediately as that of the other four Bennet sisters' that were standing without a beau. She could see Elizabeth wandering in search of Wickham, Mary going immediately to James as he passed a subtle nod of greeting towards Adele- she nodded back with a toothy smile that surprised him- and Kitty and Lydia going towards the scoudrel officers.

"Good evening, Miss Bennet," a whisper greeted her just beside her ear and she gasped, turning around.