Chapter 11: Someone Else's Kid (vol. scallions)

VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT T/N: DO XUN IS PERMANENTLY CHANGED TO THE CORRECT DOU XUN. DO NOT ASK ME WHY I HAVE NEVER NOTICED THIS ERROR UNTIL NOW.

ANOTHER T/N: Someone else's kid(in asian culture): the kid you're ALWAYS compared to

----

In no time, the first midterm scores began to launch air raids at the students like a massive thunderstorm. The attack lasted a full day. It wasn't so bad like moans of pain sounding everywhere, it was just a whole bunch of kids being panic-stricken. The phenomenon of students running and goofing around was temporarily gone. The ones that had fucked up were wailing in their hearts, while the ones that had done okay were not comfortable to be brave.

In a sentence, the whole class had their heads bowed in silent mourning, celebrating Tomb Sweeping Day early.

Unsurprisingly, Xu Xilin hadn't done well––even math, his best subject, was ten points lower than his normal score.

But he wasn't under too much pressure either. This was his normal pattern anyways––he always bombed his first midterm of the semester, since he wasn't fully recovered from the holidays' excitement yet. His grades would get better exam by exam, and get to the highest point at finals.

Then when he got back after another break, he would end up back in square one again. In full circle, it was.

He personally felt that this pattern wasn't anything bad. There wasn't a break before uni entrance exams anyways.

Yu Yiran threw a murderous paper ball back. Xu Xilin leaned back and caught it with both hands..

Yu Yiran turned around, and made a beheading sign across her neck. On the slip of paper was written, The math helper said that someone got a full score on math, is it you?

Xu Xilin raised his math exam for her to see, and shrugged, frowning.

Yu Yiran furrowed her brows like she was thinking about something, but then turned back to ask Luo Bing.

There were the "Three Musketeers" in Class One's math: Luo Bing, Xu Xilin and Yu Yiran. They were the ones the math teacher could rely on for help when they accidentally got stuck while lecturing. The three of them basically took turns having the highest score in math.

Xu Xilin looked sideways. He watched Tsai Jing fold up the corner on his exam paper where the score was, and knew that he did badly again.

Tsai Jing was unbalanced on his subjects. He had always found math and physics difficult. Even if he poured in all his efforts, his grades were still stuck in the same place, not improving, nor dropping. But this semester, doing part time jobs took too much of his time and energy, so his scores on these two subjects were getting even worse.

Even Qilixiang thought that Tsai Jing should switch to liberal arts, but Tsai Jing himself refused.

To the public, Tsai Jing's reason was that liberal arts had less professions to choose from. Xu Xilin knew that was bullishit though.

The true reason was that Sixth High School chose sciences over liberal arts, so there were no key classes for liberal arts. If he chose liberal arts instead, it meant that he was demoted from a key class to a normal one.

(key classes: top students crammed into one class basically)

When people gossiped about this, they wouldn't think that it was the school that didn't have good liberal arts teachers. They would only think that the student failed to catch up, so the student used the excuse to switch from sciences to liberal arts to escape to a normal class.