Chapter 2

The changing seasons brought a sudden bustle to the small diner one chilly autumn evening, and Jenny found herself working twice as hard and fast than she normally did to ensure that every customer received their correct order in a timely manner. Of course, there were other waitresses, but they weren't nearly as efficient as they should be.

Not that Jenny was complaining. The more people she served, the more money she could earn. Her boss, Mr Swindler, was a very stingy old man who didn't care much for his staff or patrons. As long as he had his money at the end of the day, he was happy. He didn't care about minimum wages, or over-time; if you worked, your earnings would come solely from tips.

It was most probably the reason Jenny was the only one to stay employed there for two years.

Only after handing another customer their take-away coffee, did Jenny allow herself to take a deep breath and wipe the slight sheen of sweat from her forehead. She wasn't used to serving so many people in one go. They had their busy moments, but it was nothing quite so hectic as today.

She forced herself to straighten again when the doorbell chimed, and she glanced towards the person who entered. Her heart did that strange, little stutter that it seemed to be doing lately when she noticed the man who entered. She pushed the feeling aside and tried her best not to appear exhausted as she offered Nathan a smile.

"Good evening. How may I help you?"

She kept her face politely neutral when his blue eyes met hers. "Take-away coffee; black," he stated in his calm voice.

"Certainly," Jenny responded and moved towards the coffee machine, grabbing a flask on the way. 

It wasn't the first time that he had ordered a take-away coffee; not that she was keeping track or anything. However, it was the first time he stood and watched her. It unnerved her slightly - the way his eyes seemed to follow her every move.

He must just be in a hurry, she thought to herself. That's the only reason he's standing there

Needless to say, that was the fastest she ever made a coffee, and she handed it to him within fifteen seconds. "There you are," she stated with a smile before glancing to the side to see another customer walk through the door. 

She heard him place the money on the counter.

"Keep the change," he said as he took his coffee. 

Jenny turned back towards the money, and her eyes grew large when she noticed the amount he had tipped her for a single coffee. She looked back at him in shock, about to protest that he should take his change, when the next customer pushed his way in front of her eyes, forcing her to turn her attention towards him.

"One cappuccino, and don't be stingy with the cream," he said, pointing a chubby finger at her face. 

Jenny blinked at the man's rudeness before offering him a less polite smile than she had offered Mr Walker.

"Of course," she said and quickly grabbed a cup.

As she began mixing the drink, she glanced up and almost jumped when she noticed the billionaire standing on the other side of the machine, his blue eyes staring at her intently. 

Her first reaction was to panic. "Is something wrong?" she asked, attempting to hide the worry in her tone and failing miserably.

If there was one person she didn't want to disappoint, it was Nathan Walker. He was - by far the - best tipping patron of the diner, and she couldn't afford to lose him as a customer ... literally.