Chapter 13

The next morning, Jenny slowly made her way down the stairs towards the kitchen, her tired features and sluggish movements revealing the small amount of sleep she achieved last night. After that little scene of falling off the laundry hamper and Nathan catching her, she couldn't seem to slow her racing heart.

She couldn't quite pinpoint if it was due to Nathan or the fact that his touch on her waist had elicited some far-off feeling that she had desperately tried to conceal. She liked her space and had not expected that kind of contact from someone - let alone a man she barely knew.

Due to her lack of sleep, she was hoping to be the only one in the kitchen. She didn't feel like being lively so early on a Monday morning.

As luck would have it, not only was the kitchen occupied, but by the same man whom she had been hoping not to see. At least he was fully dressed in a light-grey shirt and dark pants; however, thoughts of his naked torso still flushed her face. She wasn't too sure how to behave around him after what happened.

She rolled her eyes at herself when she realized what she was thinking.

It's not like anything serious happened.

With that thought in mind, Jenny crossed the few steps to the freshly brewed coffee, her movements catching Nathan's attention that had previously been focused on his laptop.

"Good morning," he greeted.

"Morning," she replied, her back turned to him as she poured herself a cup.

She paused and swallowed, realizing how curt she sounded. She took a deep breath and forced her shoulders to relax before turning to look at Nathan. She was met with the sight of sapphire eyes studying her quietly. She swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Good morning," she said, trying to sound a little less hostile. She had no reason to be so unreceptive to him.

"Did you sleep alright?" he asked as his gaze settled on her face.

"Yes, thank you," she replied before her shoulders tensed as she remembered her manners. "I hope you don't mind. I ..." she trailed off as she gestured towards her cup.

Nathan immediately shook his head, a hint of humour in his eyes. "No, go ahead. It's just coffee."

Jenny tried to force a smile of gratitude, but his statement irked her slightly. Just coffee. A luxury that she wasn't able to afford for years, he can speak about so carelessly. She turned towards the fridge to grab the milk, hiding her face as she did.

She supposed she couldn't blame him; he has been surrounded by money his whole life. He wouldn't be able to comprehend the thought of going to bed hungry if he tried. His statement merely reminded her of the fact that they were worlds apart. Not that she was looking at him in that sense ....

It was quiet between the two adults as she added the appropriate amount of sugar and milk before looking back at Nathan, only to realize he had been watching her the entire time with a thoughtful gaze.

She cleared her throat. "Well, I won't bother you any longer," she said as she placed the milk in the fridge and gestured to Nathan's open laptop.

She hadn't even turned to leave when Nathan replied, "You're not a bother, Jenny. Please, sit with me."

Jenny slowly looked back at him. She wasn't sure if she wanted to sit with him. She felt uncomfortable in his presence. However, the inviting smile and - now closed - laptop made her discomfort ease. Then she remembered that she had wanted to discuss the incident with Rosa and Mrs Jenkins.

However, just as she was about to walk towards the counter where Nathan sat, he surprised her by standing with his own cup of coffee in one hand.

"I think it would be more comfortable in the sunroom," he stated.