Chapter 7

The next morning, which was a Saturday, Mr Walker's chauffeur was there right on time to pick up Jenny and Isabella. Although Jenny was beyond nervous about her first day of work, she tried to hide it as best she could from Isabella ... or so she thought.

"Isabella, please remember that I have never met Rosa before, and I don't know what she's like. So I think it's best if we don't speak unless we are spoken to in the beginning. Alright? We have to make a good impression on her," she said as they climbed in the back seat of a beautiful black car. 

The chauffeur closed the door behind them before making his way to the driver's side.

"I know, Aunt Jenny. You've told me three times already," Isabella said with a smile.

Jenny returned the smile as embarrassment flooded her cheeks.

They stayed silent for the most part of the drive to Nathan's penthouse, and Jenny did her best to remain calm.  But the closer they drew to the modern building, the more she felt her anxiety get the better of her. 

What would Rosa be like? Would she like Isabella? Would she like having someone other than Mrs Jenkins looking after her?

All these questions tumbled in her head until she felt that her brain should burst. Thankfully, before that could happen, the familiar driveway came into view. Jenny glanced at her niece and noticed Isabella's amazed face as she watched them drive past lush gardens up to the impressive building.

Jenny noticed the chauffeur drive past the entrance and into the underground parking area. She breathed a sigh of relief when she spotted Nathan's car.

As long as he's here for this, she thought as she climbed out of the car with Isabella close behind her. 

Jenny watched the chauffeur move to the trunk of the vehicle and pull out their two tired-looking bags. She closed her eyes for a moment in embarrassment. She didn't want to know what the silent man must have thought of them. It was clear as day that she did not belong in the world of chauffeurs and penthouses.

Without a word, the chauffeur walked off with their bags, and Jenny and Isabella followed along behind him. They moved into the familiar lobby where the same man sat at his desk. He glanced up at the sound of their shoes on the tiled floor. Although he had figured Jenny would be back, he did not expect her to bring suitcases with her ... as well as a little girl.

"Mr Walker knows about this," the chauffeur said, answering the man's unasked question. 

The desk clerk merely nodded in shock.

The three of them made their way to the elevator. Once the doors closed, Jenny felt something grip her hand. She looked down to see Isabella looking up at her, a gleam of excitement in her eyes. She smiled back and squeezed her hand.

The elevator doors opened a few moments later, and the chauffeur started walking down the hall. When they arrived at the familiar, beautifully carved wooden door, the man placed their bags on the deep red carpet with a soft thud. He turned to look at Jenny and gave her a nod in farewell before walking down the hall and out of sight.

Jenny looked down at Isabella for a moment, and the little girl gave her a small, encouraging smile. The young woman nodded, took in a deep breath, and pressed the buzzer.

It wasn't long before the door opened to reveal a pair of sapphire eyes that Jenny has come to associate with Nathan. The sight of him left her momentarily speechless. 

He was dressed in a light-blue dress shirt and black pants; his dark hair was slightly tousled. He offered them a warm smile, which succeeded in making Jenny feel a little calmer.